Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent networking connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle B

Kyle B

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:53 PM

Hi all!

I have a desktop, a laptop and a wireless-enabled printer connected via a wireless router. The desktop is wired while the rest are wireless. Both PCs can access the Internet and the printer just fine. However, when I try to do file sharing, it's a frustrating affair. Sometimes it's possible and file sharing is seemless. Then randomly, without either computer going to sleep or anything like that, file sharing just dies. I try it again some other time and it works. The wireless router is set to DHCP. Should I try static IP? Much thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:30 PM

What version of windows on the PCs?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Kyle B

Kyle B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:34 PM

Ack, I forgot to mention that!

The wired desktop is running Vista Home Premium 32-bit and the laptop is running 7 RC. I also read from Googling around that sometimes firewalls and AV software might be an issue. FYI, I'm running avast! (the free version) on both.

Edited by Kyle B, 08 October 2009 - 11:34 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:50 PM

When the file sharing "dies" look at workgroup setting is it disabled on either machine?

I'm sorry, I have a cold with a slight fever so my brain is a little foggy. I'll look harder when I wake up :thumbsup:

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Kyle B

Kyle B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:07 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a go when my filesharing "dies" on me again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users