Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Programs do not open

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fdiaz

fdiaz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

I thought my PC was acting normal until I tried to connect the Svideo out to my TV (which I do Succesfuly from time to time). I conected the cord and pressed the Fn + F5 keys to change the display function and nothing happened, after several attemps I went to the control panel and tried to open the DISPLAY program and again nothing happened, then I went to my desktop and right clicked..clicked on properties and still nothing. Then I went back to control Panel and realized that none of the programs in the control panel screen want to open. I then went to START--RUN and typed "appwiz.cpl" hit enter and the "ADD & REMOVE PROGRAMS" program opened. with task manager open while I click on the DISPLAY progam (in CONTROL PANEL) i see that the process # inceases by 1 for a split second and then goes back to the original # of processes.
I am not sure what is happening, do I have a virus?

PC Toshiba Satellite laptop running XP

thank you in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:20 AM

Dial-A-Fix ( http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix ) has an option to reregister the control panel applets. If that doesn't get it, look in the event viewer for the cause (Right-click My Computer, left-click Manage)
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users