Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally Deleted a Registry File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zetsubun

Zetsubun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:20 PM

So I had the virus that sometimes manifests itself as a fake smss.exe file, and I guess somewhere in the process of trying to remove it I accidentally deleted the real smss.exe file in the I386 folder. I understand that missing smss.exe can cause system instability and slowness. What are my next steps?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

Reference: http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/smss.exe.html.

In the first place, the i386 folder is a storage folder...has nothing to do with active O/S.

If any file is missing from the i386 folder, seems to me that any number of efforts could correct that. The most simple seems to be simply copying it from the active location and placing it there.

I don't know the source of your info...but I only show two locations (System32 folder and System32\Dllcache folder) for this file, with the i386 not being either.

I suppose that it could be part of the .cab file in i386, which makes sense to me. If it is, then it's compressed and you would have to restore the .cab file in entirety. I suppose that could be done by updating an SP or doing a repair install.

Louis

#3 Zetsubun

Zetsubun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

Oh, so it isn't a registry file then? That's good to know.

The way I found out it's missing is that I'm trying to make a bootable disk for another computer with a program called "PE Builder". When it tries to copy the files it needs for the disk it always registers that c:\I386\SMSS.exe is missing and cannot create the disk because of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users