Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new previous user, old problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jason e

jason e

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hello everyone.

I've been here before. But it was a couple years ago and I am on a different computer now. This was a helpful group before and I have high hopes in resolving the problems I am now having.

My machine got Windows Antivirus Pro (WAP) on it somehow. I have taken several steps to get rid of it and have been unsuccessful.

When the problem was discovered my internet browsing capabilities were hampered by pop-ups. This computer had no antivirus protection or firewall software. I could not use the control panel to access software. I tried without success to delete the offending software through Windows Explorer and that was completely unsuccessful.

I had to start the computer in safe-mode to access the internet. I was able to download and install Avast antivirus home edition. I also installed Firefox. I did not get a firewall program at that time.

From that point WAP was not a problem except that it would pop-up with IE (not sure what version at this point). In an attempt to erradicate WAP I downloaded PC Tools' Spyware Doctor. At that point things started to go downhill. Performance has tanked. I tried installing Zone Alarm and cannot finish that process.
I am able to do most everything I need except for Windows Explorer is not functioning properly, i.e. does not show the contents of the "C" drive. Also IE is somehow hampered. Also my Restart function has ceased functioning.

I have not changed or deleted any registry entries since I downloaded Spyware Doctor.

Can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hello jason e and :thumbsup: back to Bleepingcomputer!

I suggest you start a thread in Am I infected? What do I do? stating all your symptoms, any steps you have already taken in an attempt to solve the problem, and any other details you can provide that may prove useful. Someone should be able to help you there!

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users