Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spare parts for a build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:17 PM

Got some old parts laying around and I am thinking about throwing them together for a comp in the garage for alittle WOW. The parts are as follows:

CPU: have an old 478 P4 Northwood ( 3.06 Ghz) and a AMD 754 3500 ( 2.4 Ghz)

GPU is AGP and I have an old Nvidia 7600 GS

Power is a generic 420 watt.

Drives: a HP DVD burner and for Main an Seagate 80 gig and another 40 that will use for extra storage and stuff.

Memory: I have 1.5 gigs of pc 3200

Motherboards are equally lousy....hehe but should be enough for WOW. Oh yea I will be using XP Pro.

So what u guys think AMD or the Intel ?? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

You don't say what brand the motherboards are .
That would usually influence my decesion somewhat as not all motherboards are "equally lousy"

If I had a choice of PCChips or Gigabyte,Asus the PCCFhips would stay on the shelf.

ith that said,
I generally favor Intel but in this case I would go with the AMD provided there is a heatsink/fan handy that will cool it properly.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Wee

Wee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

Yea I was thinking I probably should have put that info in the post too. The AMD system is basically an HP Pavilion A810N that was parted out long ago and the Intel stuff consisted of an ECS PT800CE-A board that also had a few good years in her. I know I could compare specs all day long in the web but just wanted to real honest answers for some of us....

#4 Wee

Wee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

Since you guys were a sea of useful information....J/K its all good, I built the AMD system and got it running on Sunday. D/L'd a bunch of updates ( sp3) and she's running pretty snappy...for now. 30 FPS on WOW with mostly medium settings is better than I thought !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users