Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to stop windows defender updating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Have been having startup problems with compaq presario cq70 notebook since the day i bought it.it gets stuck on the microsoft loading page.
have figured out that it only happens shortly after any windows updates.
i changed settings in w updates to check for updates but let me chose whether to install them.
but it still installed a w defender update so how do i stop it?
Also on the last startup failure i had to manually shutdown and restart as usual but normally startup repair does a system restore and it boots ok.
This time it said it cannot be fixed automatically and it gave me an opyion of looking at system recovery.It said to enter admin password so i entered the only password i have used at login (this is the only account) and it said admin account disabled please contact your administrator.contact myself?
After 6 attempts the computer actually started so i could post this.any suggestions please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tman 1

tman 1

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Open Windows Defender by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Defender.

Click Tools, and then click Options.

Under Administrator options, select or clear the Use Windows Defender check box, and then click Save. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

#3 trollocks

trollocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

ok so have turned off w defender and set w updates to never check for updates so hopefully i will have no more startup problems.

But if i do ever need to get to system recovery i will need to enter admin password.i just dont understand why it will not accept my login password for this as its the only password i have used and this is the only account so i must be the administrator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users