Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help freeing up some disk space on my pc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KonohamaruHeaven

KonohamaruHeaven

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

im not sure what sub form to post this but

i need help freeing up some memory on my pc. in all my pc has

OS(C:) 11.2 free of 62.4 gigs
Recovery(D:) 5.72 free of 9.99 gigs

i want to keep the programs i use and the one that i need
is there a program that can help me with getting rid of all the useless files and programs

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 12 October 2009 - 04:45 PM.
Mod Edit: Corrected Title: Memory->Disk space - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

Hi,
Im not an expert,but till somebody with more knowledge finds a time to respond,here are my two grains of salt.
Yes there is.A nice,small program called startuplite from malwarebytes.com will find unnecessary programs on your pc.Also,download and install a pc-decrapfiler from pcdecrapifier.com.I also use a Winpatrol which helps me monitor all changes to my pc.It gives me an option to allow,or to block every change that happens on my programs.
Well,you probably know,but just in case,you need to run an good crap cleaner.I use AFT by Atribune and CCleaner.I have to say that this site does not reccomend any software for registry cleaning: CCleaner has that option,so please use it carefully.
I find a Sophos antiroot kit very useful.Once a week I run it and afterwards AFT and CCleaner remove, beetween two of them,around 180 Mb of crap files!!!
Also this site has a very usefull startup list.Read this carefully and you will be able to learn and resolve some problems.
And,of course,you have always an option to add more RAM to your pc.

Edited by akuigla, 12 October 2009 - 03:02 PM.

If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

Do not touch the recovery [D:] partition

As suggested ATF is good to use and yes, we do not recommend registry cleaners.
There is too much of a chance of rendering your computer inoperable
Use the system tools that you already have
Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter
Go trough your program list and remove what you don't use
If you have a lot of pictures or music, consider a remoter hard drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users