Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot From CD - Dell Inspiron e1705

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 d0ubty

d0ubty

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

Hi,

Currently, I'm trying to boot my computer from a CD with a Fedora 11 ISO file. In the past, I tried to re-install XP using a CD as well. Both times, I changed the BIOS boot order to CD/DVD first, AND tried selecting CD/DVD from the menu that comes up when F12 is pressed at startup. And in both situations, the normal boot from the hard drive commenced unchanged. In the future (2 weeks) I'm going to want to boot Windows 7 in the same way so I can set up a dual-boot with Fedora (I eventually got FC11 to work with a USB bootable...but testing it's capability to re-install to see if I could USB boot W7 came with a strange error...more info if requested--might have to do with the fact that FC11 is already on there).

Does anyone know what might be keeping my CD/DVD drive from booting these operating systems?

Thanks,
D

Edited by d0ubty, 08 October 2009 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:38 PM

Boot options in the BIOS...might possibly be somewhat superceded by the bootloader used, I think...whether it should or should not be so.

That's the direction I would be headed.

Louis

#3 d0ubty

d0ubty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

Boot options in the BIOS...might possibly be somewhat superceded by the bootloader used, I think...whether it should or should not be so.

That's the direction I would be headed.

Louis

I'm not all that experienced in this field...how would I go about viewing/changing the bootloader that is used?

D

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

Well...I'd assume that the FC11 install has a bootloader.

It may be that it overrides the XP bootloader, in the same manner that the Vista/Win 7 bootloader does when installed along with an XP install.

If that is the case, that's the place to start.

I have no familiarity with any O/S other than Windows. so I can't help you there.

Louis

#5 d0ubty

d0ubty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

It may be that it overrides the XP bootloader, in the same manner that the Vista/Win 7 bootloader does when installed along with an XP install.

I have no familiarity with any O/S other than Windows. so I can't help you there.

Louis

OK, cool. Thanks for the help.

D

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:43 AM

I'll bet your CD drive is dirty or has a hardware problem. If the system will boot into Safe Mode (F8 key while the Dell logo is up), try a commercial CD. If it won't recognize or read it then, the drive is ill; but, they are very cheap and easy to replace.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

Louis

you want to install windows form a CD right
then the FC11 bootloader should not do any thing
as its puts its boot loader(i think fc11 uses grub) into the hard drive and loads from the hard drive

you know what i mean ?
bios trys to boot form CD/DVD
nothing their(cd/dvd may be dead)
trys to boot HARD DRIVE
finds bootloader(grub) and bootloader(grub) loads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users