Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac vs. PC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 flann

flann

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:16 PM

If there is a post somewhere that I didn't find, please point to it for me. I've never used a Mac, and have been curious about them for a while now. I don't do graphics, but is it worth the money for a non graphics person to invest in a Mac?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:13 AM

It depends on what you want to do. If you into most games, then stick with Windows, cause 99.79% of the games out there today are designed for Windows. However if you just want to cruise the internet the you can either one. I'm not sure if you can buy a mac at a retail store, in fact I don't think I've ever seen them at a store. In fact I don't even know there price, but if you can find one for less than 500$ then you can get it, or just get a Dell.

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 29 July 2005 - 11:46 AM

CompUSA sells Macs. The store near me has a corner devoted to them, so if you find one like that, you can test one and ask questions there.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#4 furntree

furntree

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 30 July 2005 - 02:51 PM

But if you want to still get into the mac world, try getting a Mac Mini.
There very small, and have enough power to get you pretty much anywherre you need to go. I think the price is 499$ up...but i am not sure on that

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:00 AM

If you want the ability to right click, stay with pc.

Sorry, couldn't resist. =)

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:11 AM

Unlike Windows, you can download the older versions of Mac. If you can find and old iMac you can download OS 7.6.1. Version 8.1 is pending. You can still get all the updates also. This would like MicroSoft allowing you to download 95 or 98 with allow the available downloads. Of course Windows did not do that. They did the reverse. They stop supporting it all together. Way to go Bill.

OS 7.6.1 http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Suppo...cintosh/System/
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Dazmax

Dazmax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:52 PM

Don't worry, you can right-click on a mac now. It works just the same.

Getting a mac means not needing to worry about viruses, spyware, etc. They also crash a lot less. But then, you can't play as many games, and other people might have trouble using your computer if they are not familiar with macs.

Go for OS X, though, I don't know why you'd want to download system 7.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:59 AM

Don't worry, you can right-click on a mac now. It works just the same.

Getting a mac means not needing to worry about viruses, spyware, etc. They also crash a lot less. But then, you can't play as many games, and other people might have trouble using your computer if they are not familiar with macs.

Go for OS X, though, I don't know why you'd want to download system 7.

I have not owned a MAC since the Apple II days, so I cannot speak with authority about OS X or any other version of Mac. With that said, malware, be it a virus spyware or adware, is just a program written to function on a given platform. The only reason more spyware and virus are not found on Macs is sheare numbers. Why write code to effect 100 computers when you can take the time and write code that will effect 100,000 computers. If the Mac was only have a popular as Windows no doubt we would see far more malware written for them.
By the way Norton, MacAfee, AVG, BitDefender, and several more all offer anrivirus protection for the Mac. There alsoa number of firewall and antispyware programs available thru a Google search.
Here is an interesting article on the topic for PCWorld Maz. Online.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124543,00.asp

All thing being equal the Mac is far more reliable and security than Windows, at least what I have read. There is no reason to relax your guard though. Peace thru strenght.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:22 AM

My wife got a Mac Mini for Christmas last year. Unfortunately it's based on the Power PC processor. When it comes to basic operations like loading programs or viewing web pages, it's -- not painfully, but noticeably -- slower than my very middling PC which has a Socket A Sempron 2400 and onboard graphics. Our oldest son (does not live with us) is also a Mac devotee, has a desktop unit (G5 I think) and an IBook. His desktop is faster than the Mini but not as fast as my PC, however it's an older design.

I'm sure the new Intel-based line is considerably faster, but dollar for dollar you will always get more performance from PCs. On the other hand, Macs are more reliable -- the upside of their tightly controlled architecture. My son laughs at me when I tell him about Blue Screens of Death and driver rollbacks. His machines do photo, video and audio processing without a hitch, using software that's built into the operating system.

There _is_ a learning curve, and switching back and forth between PCs and Macs can be frustrating, as lots of common operations are done just a little bit differently. My wife is still getting used to her machine. Actually OS X seems to resemble Linux more than Windows, which should not be a surprise since both are developments of Unix. As far as old versions of the Mac OS, those are availabile for compatibility purposes. Software development is slower in the Mac world. On the other hand, just as with hardware, applications for the Mac tend to be more expensive. Fortunately the built-in apps are quite good so you don't need as many add-on programs.

As far as security goes, none of the Mac users in my family uses any software protection. The machines connect to the internet through a router, but that's about it. As noted by Acklan, nobody in his right mind is going to spend his time writing trojans aimed at the Mac.

#10 *Desdinova*

*Desdinova*

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 05 August 2006 - 06:26 PM

If there is a post somewhere that I didn't find, please point to it for me. I've never used a Mac, and have been curious about them for a while now. I don't do graphics, but is it worth the money for a non graphics person to invest in a Mac?

Hi :thumbsup:

I have a Macbook for about 1,5 month now. Never used or even saw a Mac / MacOS before.

Needed a new notebook.. was waiting for Vista, but would be too long. I wanted a "new" OS to learn, explore, .. First I was looking for a notebook that was suitable for running vista "later", but this shiny pretty white cute Apple notebook came accross ... :trumpet:
pic of my macbook

Searched more about MacOSX and the MacBook, got curieus ... just want at least have tried an Apple in my life so why not NOW, as it seems Vista will not be "that" new anyway, and just bought it with the idea "take the risk, if after a time, I experience MacOS as absolutely nothing for me, it's still possible to install Windows XP on it" (Bootcamp, parallels, ..) . BUT -as I expected- that wasn't the case, it's .. You'll have to get used to it, if you're an addicted Windows user, but once you understand the basics etc.. it's soooo relaxed. :inlove:

Anyway, I can fill hours with telling about it (still SO impressed) , but thats's no answer on your question ;)

I haven't regret my choice for 1 sec.
ok, you have to discover .. thats normal .. I still discover new stuff on my XP also, after more then 3 years.. and the first steps with windows weren't that easy too.
But I experience with MacOS X so little problems.. it's so intuitive and obvious and a joy to work with !!
You'll drool on it when you'll see the graphics, (and the design, sceen, keyboard, ...... ) :woot:

Some people argument: the software you use on Windows will not work, ... ok, that's true.. most applications don't have a "mac-download" ... BUT ..
* there ARE alternatives .. just have to fid them, but they are "out there"
* There's so much "other", and often better software for Mac available
* many software you install on your windows, is already IN MacOX .. f.e you don't need a screencapture program, the one in MacOS is in comparison with ScrLk in windows, very enhanced. You don't have to use special defrg programs, 'cause you don't need to defrag on a Mac, etc etc ... There are also free antivirus available, f.e. ClamXav.
Have to admit, that I do use a mouse (then you can just right-click as in Windows, no difference) because still very used to that habit ...

Still using Windows XP on my other Laptop, not intending to become a Windows hater or so :huh:
But I'm SO happy with MacBook / MacOS :cool: He's worth every eurocent, IMO
That, off course, is my experience as "new" Mac user , at this point in my exploring / learning process :flowers: ..

Hope you can decide what's best for you,
and that you're verry happy with your choice :cool:

Edited by *Desdinova*, 05 August 2006 - 06:32 PM.

#11 Tech Elite

Tech Elite

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hi I'm looking in to getting a Mac computer for my Graphic Design work that I do.

But I was just wandering why is the software so much more exspensive than PC software?

Edited by Tech Elite, 18 August 2006 - 08:28 PM.

#12 Gaming Guru

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

I'm a Windows person. :thumbsup:
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz Processor / 1GB RAM / Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3 / Windows Vista Home Premium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users