Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

Kaspersky Lab's cybersecurity blog Threatpost focused this week on the booming malware economy and highlighted the features of one particular kit called Adrenalin as an example of the sophistication of the criminal business underworld.

Roy Firestein, a security consultant at Digital Defence and a malware expert, said the tool kit "sells for $3,500 right now and can be customized to suit the needs of even the most demanding attacker," according to Threatpost. "Adrenalin includes 24x7 technical support, built-in exploits, the ability to steal digital certificates and the option to encrypt the stolen data."

Seriously? Tech support? I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I imagine malware phone operators standing by.

Above quote from SFGate article by Alejandro Martínez-Cabrera Thursday, October 8, 2009 quoted in entirety from here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:42 AM

You know something.... it's truly amazing that people can come up with programs like this that sell for $3500, have 24x7 tech support and they have only one intention. Theft. Extortion. Malicious Acts.

What is the world coming to when people have to resort to creating a program like this to do harm when their coding and programming abilities would much more useful pointed in another direction.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:08 AM

That just blew my mind when i read it :thumbsup:

The idea of ppl sitting there sayin:
"well have you tried this" -> "yes and i still cant access his files"
"run this and post the log here"
"whats come up on the screen" -> "you are not authorized"

its just ridiculous :flowers:

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

I was doing some additional followup and verification of information and stumbled on this little nugget. "Following the lead of other recent malware packages, Adrenalin also will take the extra step of removing other bots and attack toolkits from infected machines." Preceding quote from here: Malware Economy is Thriving

It cleans out your competition, for you too. Thats just unbelievable. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

Do you suppose they outsource the call centers?

#6 gully786

gully786

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

They must have a package where until a certain period has past they dont provide removal for your malware,

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

I wonder if they have a free version for home users only. LOL
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

It cleans out your competition, for you too.

If they are effective at doing that it will make my janitorial job easier as I will only have their garbage to remove. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:24 AM

:thumbsup::hysterical::flowers:

That's the first time that I've heard you say something funny, QM7. And it was awesome and made of win. XD

Edited by scff249, 10 October 2009 - 12:27 AM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:29 AM

The Quiet One does not often grace us with his humor. When he does, it is indeed epic AND made of win.

#11 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

Good one QM7!Let them give us their best punch! :thumbsup:
If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:00 AM

Big question is what Adrenalin legal.( the ability to steal digital certificates ). To me the word steal doesn't sound legal.

Edited by Layback Bear, 13 October 2009 - 05:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users