Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer so slow it is unusable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ImNotScott

ImNotScott

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:35 AM

My computer has suddenly gone from running fine to running so slowly it is unusable. I suspect that I'm infected with something but I haven't had any luck trying to find out what it is.

I can boot to Safe Mode and the machine runs fine. From there I ran ComboFix a couple times but that didn't help. I can post the log file if needed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott (not)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ImNotScott

ImNotScott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

Updates on this:
I downloaded and ran MalwareBytes (in SafeMode) but it came back clean.

I now have the machine up and running in normal mode but it is still extremely slow. When I try to open any application from the Start menu, it doesn't load at all. I am however able to run Task Manager and I can see all the processes that are running. I've sorted the list by Memory Usage and run some searches on the processes that are using the most but nothing has turned out to be a virus.

I suspected that my problem was with Comodo, but I was able to shut that down and the problem persists. However I have noticed that cmdagent.exe is still running.

Any suggestions?

#3 ImNotScott

ImNotScott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

2nd update. I rebooted in Safe Mode and used System Restore to go back to my config from two days ago. It all seems to be running OK now. I guess it was some update or another that downloaded and hosed everything. Now I'm afraid to let anything update itself.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

As you use Comodo you should read the following link. It will explain what caused your problem and how to cure it.
https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsa...s-t46150.0.html
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 ImNotScott

ImNotScott
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users