Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

S.O.S

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KnightHawkXIV

KnightHawkXIV

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:00 AM

This is my System Information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name COMPAQ
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model Presario V2000 (EP377UA#ABA)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1790 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.20, 11/30/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.31

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 25.85 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 920.51 MB

Mobile AMD
Processor 3000+
787Mhz. 384MB

Now I must admit that I hardly understand what these figures are but what I know is that my PC is really,really sluggish and slow. I have shouted at it, banged at it and tore my hair out because of its glacial pace. Please Folks, help me out!

What do I do? I bought this 3 years ago [Refurbished] from an computer shop that sells English laptops in Japan. There is real scarcity for PCs running English OS here. I got ripped off because i paid 115000 Yen [$1200] for this and it is my first computer. I didn't know so much! I have since then spend almost $650 on it,trying to make it behave. Since I installed Norton 2010, Firefox Add-Ons, Google Toolbar, it went downhill completely! I don't have music or video files at all and only few docs.

Should I change and upgrade the RAM, Motherboard and Hard-disk? Or do I simply buy a new Mac? I am tired of PCs,really!

Thanks all for the help in advance! What is the most sensible thing to do without storming the bank?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

I am no expert, no doubt such will come along to assist you, but it does seem to me that something is gobbling up your RAM.

You have 512 Mbs installed ( which should be enough ( the minimum) to run XP)....but you have only 25.85 Mbs available to you, which is not sufficient to run very much else.

Your on-board graphics seem to be taking a huge amount of RAM at 384 Mbs ( if I read things correctly) but even if that is a correct figure, 384 + 25.85 taken from 512 leaves just over 100Mbs of RAM unaccounted for.

Two things to look at.

1) Open taskmanager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys) and look at the processes tab....how many processes are running and is there any process taking that amount of RAM

2) Open the start-up folder †( start>all programs>startup)........are there any programs listed there as auto starting at boot-up.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

Well, I would suggest that you increase the amount of RAM installed. 512MB will allow running of the system, but any heavy-duty program (e.g., MS Office, etc.) will find that amount borderline to too little.

Uninstall anything that is not necessary...Norton applications are memory hogs, the Google toolbar is not necessary at all. Remove any programs installed that are unused or sparsely used.

Go into your BIOS and change the amount of RAM allocated to video functions. It appears that you currently have 128MB of RAM devoted to such, try using 32MB for that function.

For virtual memory, let XP manage it.

How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file
You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the administratorís group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from completing this procedure.

Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.

Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.

To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size.

I would also suggest disabling Windows Messenger, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...e/stopspam.mspx. Not directly related but a useless service if one does not use it.

Louis

Edit: Run the chkdsk /r command equivalent, using the Graphical Interface, How to Understand and Use Chkdsk in Windows XP - http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm. Put check marks in both boxes presented (Automatically fix/Scan for).

After the chkdsk has completed, then defrag the C: partition.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2009 - 11:35 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

The possibility exists that it could be Norton which is responsible for all or part of your issue. There is no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to computer security programs. What works for some people may not work for you. Norton might not play nice with your system.
The only way to find out if Norton is part of the cause is to uninstall it.
Before uninstall, enable Windows firewall.
Uninstall Norton, then use the Norton Removal Tool to clean up any left-overs.
You can find the NRT HERE.

If it turns out that Norton affected your system speed, you'll need to install another firewall and antivirus.
A list of free products can be found here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

If you want to purchase a product, narrow down your choices, pick one, then see if that program has a trial offer. Install the trial, see how it works, if it plays nice with your system. It won't take you long to find out.

#5 KnightHawkXIV

KnightHawkXIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:27 PM

Thanks, Guys! Thanks a lot! I'm learning fast and grateful for your leads! I noticed a significant drop in the performance of my system after I installed this NIS 2010. I also have as part of the baggage something called Norton Utilities; but it seems to be doing same job as the Task Manager. Should I shut it down or remove it?

I also using Google Toolbar because most of my Bookmarks are in it. I like the features also! The Performance Graph says I'm using 4% of the CPU and PF [maybe Paging File] 494MB.

Totals:
Handles 13150: Threads 535: Processes 48.

Physical Memory:
Total 391664: Available 53340: System Cache 124456.

Commit Charge [K]:
Total 505720: Limit 942604: Peak 596712

Kernel Memory [K]
Total 108664: Paged 82796: Non-paged 25864

Firefox.exe 111584K
explorer.exe 11564
svchost.exe 12996

These are the Info. I found! Thanks again!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

Your bookmarks...can be saved anywhere you like.

Using IE, Windows saves them as Favorites under UserName/Docs & Settings and you can simply copy that folder and save it somewhere else if you like (this is if you use Internet Explorer).

I've run NIS and NSW before on my systems (I like to see for myself if such programs are worth the annual stipend requested). IMO, they are not.

These products don't do anything that cannot be done by the user, using Windows tools and a free AV program.

The Windows firewall is adequate for most users who don't want to be bothered with a lot of detail.

There are free AV programs that are as good as NAV, if not better...and which won't demand as much from your system. Try the Avira Free version, http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Anti...nload-6527.html, US location.

The registry edit function of any program...is always questionable, if not undesireable, IMO. Arbitrary registry entries/changes...is not something I would suggest to anyone.

I understand about the Google Toolbar. Google is my homepage, but I don't see a need for the toolbar (actually, any toolbar) because I see them as unnecessary clutter for IE (my chosen browser).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users