Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bsod, can't do anything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 coglesogle

coglesogle

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:23 AM

hi, recently my laptop gave me the dreaded blue screen of death. It will not even start in safe mode, always blue screens and reboots. The hard drive is partitioned, and also runs ubuntu on one of the partitions. ubuntu still works fine, but I would much rather be able to use the windows side of the drive and have some files that I really would like to recover. I have tried reparing it from the windows disc and it tells me that it can't find the hard drive. I get the same message if I try to re install windows. Is there anything I can do to save my files or is this the end of the road for my hard drive?

thanks,
coglesogle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:11 PM

You could try running a hardware diagnostic test on the drive to check if it is okay.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:20 PM

Also if you can still boot into the ubuntu partition I suggest you load the windows xp partition and copy the data onto an external drive.
if you cant boot into ubuntu...here is a tutorial that can help you recover the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users