Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maksoka

maksoka

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:03 AM

Hi ! I was hoping one of you guys could help me with a problem I've been having for a while now.

Background : Running Windows XP Professional SP 2. I was having some issues with malware on my computer, and was recommended to try superantispyware by a friend. So I did, ran it, removed some things it told me to, then went to use BootSafe to run it again in Safemode. Anyway, after that, my computer attempted to reboot into Safe mode, however when it got to the Windows XP splash screen it just hung there for a minute or two, then rebooted again automatically. I tried F8ing into the boot menu to try to get back into Windows normally - same issue. Safe mode with networking - same issue. Basically I can no longer load windows. So I decided to find my old Windows XP Pro CD and try to boot from the disc and run the repair setup.

Problem : I ran the repair setup, and it deleted my old install and copied new files over from the disc (also XP Pro SP2) however after it says it is rebooting to finish the setup, the computer restarts into safe mode - with Microsoft ® Windows XP ® (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803: Service Pack2) on the top, and gives me this error : Windows XP Setup - Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode. Setup will restart now. I get into Safe mode with this error message no matter what boot option I choose.

I read somewhere that in the recovery mode I may need to fix my boot.ini as it may be sending me automatically to Safe mode even if I choose start Windows normally, but I really have no clue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:28 AM

I guess that I don't understand...the use of the BootSafe application...if you are trying to do a repair of any sort.

What source directs you to do such?

System manufacturer and model?

Offhand, I would say that you need to remove this BootSafe application if you want to conduct a repair install...just a guess.

Louis

#3 maksoka

maksoka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

A friend told me to run SAS and then told me to use their BootSafe app and run SAS again in SafeMode to see if there were any other issues.

It's my secondary machine, but most of my owrk is on it :thumbsup:
Dell PowerEdge 400 SC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users