Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:53 AM

Greetings,

What would you recommend for a basic hard drive backup program? This is for a young family member, so I need something relatively easy to understand and operate. The goal is to find something that is not too labor intensive, so they will be encouraged to keep using it.

Thanks
rlight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:23 PM

Well Cobian is probably the best.
How to backup and restore your data using Cobian Backup

After you do the first (FULL) backup...
They can use INCREMENTAL
This is the feature you will most likely be using after creating your first backup instance. It checks if the source has changed from the last backup and only will backup those files that are new or have changed since the last backup. This saves a lot of time and space on your PC or the medium you will store your backup upon.

or DIFFERENTIAL
This setting works in the same way as incremental but instead compares the files from the last Full backup. If the current files are different compared to the last Full backup it will back them up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for the info. Would you say that this program is user friendly? If it is too complicated it will not be used on a regular basis.

rlight

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:07 AM

Once it's set up (options set, files to backup chosen, ...), the backup process consists of, clicking the Start Menu icon, right-clicking the Task Bar icon, and selecting Run Task.
That's it.
It'll notify you, when the backup is finished.

I find it easy to use.
I use version 8 Black Moon.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

Great!!! Thanks for the help.

rlight

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

You're welcome, rlight.
If you have any questions, just ask.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

I read through the BC tutorial for using Cobian. However, I am not clear on one thing. In regards to the 'destination',
what are the options? Do you need an external hard drive or can you back up to cd's? I would appreciate some help with this.

rlight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users