Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade or just go for a new System?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KnightHawkXIV

KnightHawkXIV

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:40 AM

This is my System Information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name COMPAQ
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model Presario V2000 (EP377UA#ABA)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 44 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~1790 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.20, 11/30/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.31

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"

Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 25.85 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 920.51 MB

Mobile AMD
Processor 3000+
787Mhz. 384MB

Now I must admit that I hardly understand what these figures are but what I know is that my PC is really,really sluggish and slow. I have shouted at it, banged at it and tore my hair out because of its glacial pace. Please Folks, help me out!

What do I do? I bought this 3 years ago [Refurbished] from an computer shop that sells English laptops in Japan. There is real scarcity for PCs running English OS here. I got ripped off because i paid 115000 Yen [$1200] for this and it is my first computer. I didn't know so much! I have since then spend almost $650 on it,trying to make it behave. Since I installed Norton 2010, Firefox Add-Ons, Google Toolbar, it went downhill completely! I don't have music or video files at all and only few docs.

Should I change and upgrade the RAM, Motherboard and Hard-disk? Or do I simply buy a new Mac? I am tired of PCs,really!

Thanks all for the help in advance! What is the most sensible thing to do without storming the bank?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

Before you throw money at it:

Go to "TASK MANAGER", and check your CPU usage, check your memory usage (PROCESSES tab). Find out what is eating your CPU cycles/memory up. Windows XP normally runs around 30-35 processes at idle, total memory usage should be under 250 megs. You can use msconfig to stop many startup programs that you don't need: http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

Make sure your antivirus/antispyware is up to date. You might want to run Malwarebytes and/or SuperAntispyware to see what lurks on the hard drive. Also consider an online scanner to doublecheck: http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

512 meg of mem is about the lowest you can run with XP and not tear your hair out waiting. The problem is you have to have a clean system so that 512 meg doesn't become a limiting factor. Simple stuff like drivers (HP printers especially) have unneeded processes running that can be disabled.

Hard drive performance can slow a system as well. Defrag it, clean it up, get rid of the garbage on it.

EDIT: You have onboard graphics which will eat up a signifigant amount of memory.

Edited by dpunisher, 08 October 2009 - 10:08 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

See responses to other thread.

Honestly, increasing the memory to the max supported...would probably do wonders for that system, along with the routine maintenance and removal of unnecessary fluff programs installed, IMO.

Louis

#4 KnightHawkXIV

KnightHawkXIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

Thanks a million Dpunisher and again Mr.Louis! I did check the Performance as you instructed and found these Info.

C:System- 576-1152
D:Data

Space available-11002MB
Initial Size[MB]- 576
Maximum- 1152

*System Managed Size
*No paging File

Total paging File size for all drivers:

Minimum Allowed- 2MB
Recommended- 573MB
Currently Running- 576MB

I don't really have many Apps. running and have disabled many start-up programs except the ones I need. I also have disconnected and uninstalled the HP printer I'm using. I think maybe that I need to boost the RAM. But tell me, O Wise Ones, can I install 2GB on this old Lady?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

2GB is max, take a look: http://www.memorystock.com/memory/CompaqPresarioV2000.html.

IMO, anyone who has a laptop...ought to always have the max RAM installed that it will take.

Louis

#6 KnightHawkXIV

KnightHawkXIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:38 PM

You are a guardian angel! Gonna order it right away!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 KnightHawkXIV

KnightHawkXIV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:35 PM

Good-morning!

I bought the RAM yesterday! Now, the problem I have is that the slot of my memory module is on the left while the ones I bought is on the right. If I turn the RAM over so that the slot can align with mine, will it still work?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,265 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

I have no idea what you mean.

RAM only fits in a slot...in a specific way, regardless of whether it'a laptop or a desktop. It's designed so that users cannot insert it improperly.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users