Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary Drive infected, Combofix wont scan it

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iasgatg

iasgatg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

I have used combofix in the past to clear up those annoying pesky bastards that wont be caught by other, more shiney virus scanners. I hadn't really noticed the issue that it hadn't scanned my second HDD untill the today, in which my PC was destroyed by an invasion of Tenga.Gen virus. I removed my secondary drive that has my more important things and then went about trying to save the boot drive. After 2 hours this failed, I gave up and reformatted. I then used my laptop which has various different scanners and such on it, whilst having no other software installed, to makesure this drive isn't infected. I ran Combofix first, tired and fustrated and just wanting to see this thing dead, only to find that it only scanned my root. I remembered back to the times before, remembering that those logs files too only had c: been logged.

Is there any way I can make combofix scan my external drive that's plugged into my laptop via a HDD caddy?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skridler

skridler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

I too would LOVE to know how to scan an external drive with Combofix! Please inform us!

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

Unfortunately the author of the tool does not want information on how Combofix works on public forums.
Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

The only public information that is available can be found at this guide:

How to use ComboFix
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 skridler

skridler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. Just to be sure I understand, are you saying that you can't tell us how to direct it to run on a drive that is mounted on an external caddy? It would be so helpful to be able to run it on drives other than the root drive.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

Let me Double check for you. But I don't belive they want you running it on your own.

Edited by boopme, 15 October 2009 - 03:33 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users