Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing IE 8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 guitarbutt

guitarbutt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

I had to wipe out my computer and reinstall everything, and I unfortunately got Internet Explorer 8. I looked around the Microsoft support site and it didn't help, and a few other sites. They said that if, in the control panel, Internet Explorer 8 doesn't have a 'remove' icon, you can't delete it, and some say you have to delete SP3 to delete IE 8.

Is there any way to delete this atrocious IE 8 and revert back to the good ol' IE 7? My control panel doesn't have the remove function in the IE 8 section.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:34 PM

Whatever IE version is the default on your recovery/restore disk/partition...you can never go to a previous version of IE.

Unless, of course, you install an earlier version of XP, wiping out your current version.

Louis

#3 PcProbs

PcProbs

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

as stated above, microsoft really stinks with their IE and some other things but i dont want to go too into it. As to my knowledge you can not revert back to IE 7, but if you havent already done so give firefox a try i like it better than IE and they are both very similar

#4 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

I was under the impression you can remove IE8 thru normal add/remove programs(show windows updates). I just did this to my wifes Dell desktop today and it just rollback'd to IE7.

#5 guitarbutt

guitarbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

IE 8 doesn't have teh remove icon in the control panel. Perhaps you could help me, I'll say what comes up when I check the update box

Windows Internet Explorer 8 (main program; no remove button)
Windows Internet Explorer 8 - software updates (no remove button)
security update for IE 8 (under the software updates tab; can be removed)
update for IE 8 (under the software updates tab; can be removed)

Will removing the update for IE 8 make me able to "down"grade to IE 7?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

You can remove IE 8 (or any other version)...if it is not part of the base install. That means that the user at some point in time...downloaded and installed IE 8 as an update to the system.

That means that if it is installed via recovery disk/partition...you cannot remove it, cince it's part of the initial install.

If it's installed via an XP install CD as the initial browser...it cannot be removed and an earlier version used.

Louis

#7 guitarbutt

guitarbutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:57 PM

Hamluis-
Can you tell me how I can delete it despite it not having a 'remove' button?
I installed it myself from the internet, it didn't come on the XP install or any disc or anything. I just don't want to have to undo the XP sp3 pack install. Is there a way to put in a code or anything in the Run function and delete it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users