Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 vs SiliconDust HDHomeRun?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

Hi Anyone,

I was just going to purchase the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Media Center Kit Dual TV Tuner 1213 PCI-Express x1 Interface - Retail from Newegg.com but then I came across this - SiliconDust HDHomeRun Network-based Dual Digital HDTV Tuner Ethernet Interface - Retail at Newegg.com also.

The HD HomeRun offers a network connection allowing you to access the TV signal from any PC.

I would just like to know if this compares to the Hauppauge. It seems advantageous and I would also like to know if it would work with AT&T's U-verse - to plug it into the U-verse router allowing it to be accessible from not only all my 2 PCs but also from all of my 2 TVs sense U-verse uses a Ethernet connection to run the signal to each TV.

Anyone?
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I've been looking at Hauppauge cards for the last week or so...you did the read the user comments on that 2d device you linked to, right?

I've had various tuner cards for about 10 years now (I think)...Pinnacle, ATI AIWs, Hauppauge...and I no longer consider ATI products.

Buying a tuner card ultimately comes down to...what tier do you want to embrace?

Example: I care less about HDTV capture capability or HD at all...I'm a person who finds that I can't get into the "Wow!" mentality that is designed to sell products to impressionable consumers. So I don't even both considering a card that emphasizes HD capture...unless it also features analog (TV) capture via cable. I capture from my cable service and this is what I need.

I've convinced myself that the HVR 1800 is what I need...but I see the 2250s being offered for just a few dollars more, $108, and that's probably the way that I will go.

The one thing that I will say about capture cards or video-editing software...research the product and company first. SiliconDust may be a technology leader of some sort...but I've never heard of them or their product until you posted. I don't think that's a good thing for anyone considering a purchase of anything ostensibly developed by them.

Another key item...always check the support site (drivers/FAQs, etc.) to see the lay of the land.

Lastly...do a Google search for said product and precede the search phrase with "problems with" and you eliminate the possibility of failing to know something that everyone else knew was a problem with a given product.

Louis

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

I like your advice hamluis, I think I'll have to go with it.

I can't find any reviews on HDHomeRun like there is with the Hauppauge so I'm going to have to go with the Hauppauge.

Only, where did you find it for $108.00 only?

John
John

Albert Einstein.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:11 AM

I use the bizrate website to check on relative prices for specific hardware items, http://www.bizrate.com/videoeditingcapture...0__sort--5.html.

I always consider whether shipping is free or not when making these comparisons.

http://www.buy.com/prod/hauppauge-wintv-hv.../208809706.html

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

Just want to add that if you purchase from an unknown dealer, check them out first at:
http://www.resellerratings.com
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went with Newegg.com. I got the 2250 with the remote. I think I paid $10.00 more than the best deal on bizrate.com but I went with a retailer that I am familiar with and have done business with.

I will have to remember to use the http://www.resellerratings.com the next time I'm shopping.

I'm looking for ward to playing with it and seeing how versatile it is for TV on PC purposes.

Edited by Johnz414, 08 October 2009 - 03:20 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

A wise move :thumbsup:.

www.buy.com is also a reliable vendor, I've done business with them before.

Louis

#8 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

That's all I'm looking for, is reliability and $10.00 is $10.00.

I'll be looking at them next time I purchase. And their ratings on http://www.resellerratings.com ain't to bad either.

Edited by Johnz414, 08 October 2009 - 03:47 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users