Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I've got a big mean ugly virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 A_Mata

A_Mata

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:56 PM

My boss has a shared computer at her house that she also uses for work. Her roommate has been using the dreaded Limewire on it and has gifted her with a big nasty virus. She's afraid she's going to lose all of her work. On boot it goes to directly to Dell Media Center- its a full screen app, that you cannot get past. No Windows screen even appears, just the initial Dell startup screen and then Dell Media Direct. It When you hit CTRL ALT Delete it goes all blue and stops completely. But its not completely frozen because I can use the mouse.

I tried to boot in safe mode in hopes to stop the dell medai center from running so I could uninstall it safely, but it keeps giving me the blue screen of death. Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xf794c524, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it on so I can start getting my HJT logs on this one? I just need the desktop to show up!
A. Mata

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hello I have a few things you can try that should not lose your Data.
1) Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

NOTE for Vista users..The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the XP CD when asked.

2) How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

3) VIPRE Rescue Program
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users