Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete unwanted wallpaper file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 astarman

astarman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

Am a new member and my 1st post. Problem developed yesterday. After a google session and some browsing, I returned to desktop to find the wallpaper had been changed. It was displaying an unauthorized wallpaper on the Desktop. I went to control panel, to Display, to wallpaper, and found a name 'Internet Explorer' highlighted. But background wallpaper pix certainly would not have been from Microsoft. I attempted to delete. But computer would take no action. However I was able to select another background pix and that got rid of the strange unwanted wallpaper. I need info that would help me delete that spooky unwanted wallpaper file.

I checked the Windows directory Web folder on Wallpaper bmp pix and they all looked OK. The offending file was not among them. But it remains on the Control Panel/Display/Desktop Wallpaper menu. I regularly use Avira antivirus on my computer - and Adaware too. They show no problem. Apparently this file was dropped into computer by a virus/adware/hacker. I am not sure I want to mess with the Register files. Could that be where it is located?

I have looked thru this forum and checked replies. Did not find anything that helped yet.

All tips appreciated. ............................... Astarman

Edited - Astarman on 10-07-09

Edited by astarman, 07 October 2009 - 08:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

okay, so go to this link: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-au/default.htm?mkt=en-au on Internet Explorer (6 or higher) and run a full system scan. If it doesn't find anything, than run this: http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html on Internet Explorer. And another good anti virus to keep on your computer is MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

There is a good chance that some thing has slipped in the back door of your computer that you don't want. Any time some thing like you have described get in you computer it is most likely doing more things than you have noticed. Do as SteinPooch has posted. If this doesn't fix things I would recommend go to Im I Infected on the site, (B/C)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users