Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google links are redirecting to misc. websites

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kampers

kampers

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:22 PM

Hello to whomever responds!

This is my first time requesting help/advise via your website, so bare with me. Up front info includes: This is about a month old computer, it is a work computer, I do have admin rights to my computer, I frequent the Microsoft website for updates as precautionary and recommended, the president here is not fond of spending money on newer technology software (including anti-virus/spyware software), I'm fairly knowledgeable with computers (with the exception of malware removal) :thumbsup:

Within the past week i've experienced redirecting through Google links to misc. websites not intended to be viewed. They are always different, but I'm not redirected every time. I could click on a link, be redirected, hit the back button, then click again and it continues as intended to the correct website. Only pattern i've noticed is the favicon of the redirect briefly flashes before the actual redirect website appears. This favicon looks like a handwritten swirly number 2, and it's blue. I don't believe i've noticed any websites including sexual content or gambling as others have experienced. I have noticed in my temporary internet files some suspicious cookies with ip address looking numbers like 66.230.188.67 & 64.111.196.117. That's a little scary. Other than the redirects, i'm not experiencing any slow down or pop-ups or errors, but I want to nip this thing in the butt before it gets out of control.

I've downloaded and scanned now with Ad-aware, SUPERantispyware, and Malwarebytes Anti-malware. All updated and current, but nothing found in any of them.

I understand that I will do nothing until i'm told. And that you guys with BC are always busy. Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. let me know if I should uninstall all the above noted software before we begin our journey.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kampers

kampers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:27 PM

In addition to the above, I failed to mention that we are running Windows XP Pro operating system with SP3. Also, i've noticed many other forums regarding redirects and Mozilla Firefox. Just letting you know ahead of time that I have never installed Firefox, and we only utilize IE8.

FYI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users