Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a Proxy Server, and Port 80 is Open

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 up-country_sinclair

up-country_sinclair

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

Hi,

I consider myself to be relatively security conscious regarding my computer (I am firewalled, do weekly virus and malware scans, etc...), but to honest, I'm really not that tech savvy.

I'm not really sure where to begin, but I certainly appreciate that you're taking the time to read this and possibly help me out. I hope this doesn't become too confusing.....

One of the tools I've used in the past to evalute my security is GRC's "Shields Up" program. In the past, everyone one of my ports came up as stealth, and I assumed that all was well. Yesterday I ran "Shields Up", and port 80 was open, and several others were listed as closed.

Here's what's different....

I recently accepted a job with an organization in SE Asia which has its own proxy server. On the LAN settings, I have checked "Use a proxy server for your LAN" and the port specified is 8080.

I've been doing a bit of research on this today, and I am more confused than when I started. From some of the information I've read, it seems that "Shields Up" really isn't scanning my ports, but those of the proxy server. Is this true? If so, what can I do to further protect myself? I'd really like to do online banking, but first I need to know how vulnerable I am.

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if I need to be more clear or provide additional information.

PS...I hope I've posted this in the right section.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

Not sure what to tell you. The proxy settings are what they are. As far as what Shields UP scans, it'll do what you tell it to. If you click on All Service Ports its going to scan them all.

I am not sure this is the right forum for a discussion on Proxy server settings.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users