Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nLite

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of using nLite to create a slipstream CD for XP Pro SP3. I have version 2002.

I've been reading a lot about nLite lately but I can't seem to find all the information I need to fully understand how the program works.

1- How does Service Pack 3 integrate into your CD? nLite says to download SP3 to your desktop. What about the SP3 I already have on my computer? Will downloading SP3 again give me a completely updated SP3 with all recent updates and Hotfixes or will it be exactly the one I've downloaded a year ago (with which I'll have to provide all updates since)?

2- What about .NET Framework? Will the new SP3 include it or do I have to find that too? Do I have to include all versions, like 2.0, 3.0, 3.5... or version 3.5 SP1 will include all the previous ones?

3- What about the Hotfixes and Updates? Do I have to manually add them all? Do I copy what I see in the WinUpdatesList program for instance?

4- As for IE7 and WMP 11, are they going to be included automatically?

5- Drivers. Why doesn't nLite find them by itself? How can I know I correctly entered all the proper drivers in nLite? I'm not even sure what to look for... :thumbsup:

6- I have Acronis True Image Home 2010 on my computer. Do I really need to create a slipstream CD? nLite seems like a big hassle to me. The instructions are not clear enough. Unless my one year old computer blows up, I don't think I'll be needing my XP CD for a long time...

Thank you

Edited by karbo1, 07 October 2009 - 02:38 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

Perhaps our tutorial will shed some light:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Thank you for the tutorial but it seems even more complicated than all the other ones I've found so far. Besides, yours differs a lot from the one from the nLite's website. And, it still leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

Edited by karbo1, 07 October 2009 - 12:58 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

The update you want to slipstream with is the LATEST one available From MICROSOFT this will include ALL updates that your computer has installed (or hasn't installed if you are not automatically updating) Since you downloaded the Service pack the first time. You Need to download the service pack to your desktop or somewhere you can find it (root directory of the C: drive works too) Now select your Windows installation folder that we created at C:\XPCD and then click on the OK button. nLite will scan the directory and identify any previously installed Service Packs. When it has finished, click on the Next button. You will now be on a screen asking if there are any presets that you would like to use. Just click on the Next button again to continue.

You will now be on the Task Selection screen. Simply click once on the Service Pack button so that the circle becomes green

Now that it is selected, click on the Next button. You will now be prompted for the location of your service pack installation file that you downloaded earlier (either the desktop or the C: directory)

Browse to the service pack file and select it. Then click on the Open button. file. Once you click on the open button, nLite will automatically slipstream the service pack into your C:\XPCD folder (or where ever you put your Xp files at). When it has finished, click on the Next button, and then at the next screen, click on the Finish button to close the program.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:16 AM

Thank you for answering questions #1 and 3. :thumbsup:

Now, do you have an answer for the other questions?

2- What about .NET Framework? Will the new SP3 include it or do I have to find that too? Do I have to include all versions, like 2.0, 3.0, 3.5... or version 3.5 SP1 will include all the previous ones?

5- Drivers. Why doesn't nLite find them by itself? How can I know I correctly entered all the proper drivers in nLite? I'm not even sure what to look for...

6- I have Acronis True Image Home 2010 on my computer. Do I really need to create a slipstream CD? nLite seems like a big hassle to me. The instructions are not clear enough. Unless my one year old computer blows up, I don't think I'll be needing my XP CD for a long time...

Edited by karbo1, 08 October 2009 - 07:17 AM.

#6 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

Surely, many here must have tried the software and can answer these questions... :thumbsup:

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:42 PM

I sincerely apologize for the delay in solving your problem. However I am the resident advisor here for the tutorial and I am getting married tomorrow so I will be a bit busy the next few days. Please be patient with me and I will get back to you as soon as I can. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

1- How does Service Pack 3 integrate into your CD? nLite says to download SP3 to your desktop. What about the SP3 I already have on my computer? Will downloading SP3 again give me a completely updated SP3 with all recent updates and Hotfixes or will it be exactly the one I've downloaded a year ago (with which I'll have to provide all updates since)?

The SP3 install pack at http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details...;displaylang=en has a published date of 05/06/08. If you have that one, it's the latest.

I don't understand your question. MS.NET has nothing to do with creating a slipstreamed installation CD...it's a program, like every other program installed in XP. For specifics about any version of MS.NET, please visit the appropriate webpage/website.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en Note that the Brief Description provides useful info.

3- What about the Hotfixes and Updates? Do I have to manually add them all? Do I copy what I see in the WinUpdatesList program for instance?

Please read the instructions for using nLite and review just what is possible and what is not possible.

nLite - Deployment Tool for Unattended Windows - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

I believe that IE7 is part of SP3, while WMP is not a critical update of any sort...thus, WMP plays by different rules. I know that I had to download/install WMP as a separate item, just as I did with IE8.

5- Drivers. Why doesn't nLite find them by itself? How can I know I correctly entered all the proper drivers in nLite? I'm not even sure what to look for...

I'm not prepared to answer questions about how nLite operates or why it functions as it does. This is not a nLite forum or FAQ. I'm just grateful that the website exists to facilitate updating the various Windows install CDs. That's the purpose for the development of nLite, as I understand it.

Like so many things in life...it's all about choices a given person chooses to make. I see nLite as a tool for users who want to do things a certain way and who see that way as being personally advantageous when it comes to the operation of their individual systems. If you see it in another manner, that's your right/option/choice.

As to whether an updated XP install CD is necessary, I have one question. What do you do when you want to do a repair install or run sfc /scannow...and you find that such cannot happen...because your CD reflects a version of Windows that precedes the version installed on your system?

I don't use Acronis True Image...but I do my backups with Powerquest Drive Image.

I don't see using a slipstreamed XP install CD...as being in contrast to using Drive Image to backup my systems. IMO, they both are necessary and the results each yields...are not applicable to the service provided me by the other.

I could be wrong...

Louis

#9 karbo1

karbo1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the answers Louis. As for question #2, why would it be irrelevant? .NET Framework is not something you decide to install by yourself. It comes through Windows Update. I have never done it separately. So, it's normal to ask the question.

In question #6, why would I need sfc /scannow or Repair Install if I have a perfect image stored with Acronis?

Sneakycyber, congratulations! (I think... :thumbsup: :flowers: )

Thank you

Edited by karbo1, 11 October 2009 - 11:14 AM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:21 PM

.NET Framework is not something you decide to install by yourself. It comes through Windows Update.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
At the bottom of the page are links to all versions
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2009 - 08:56 AM

Back to work :thumbsup: Thanks for the help guys. If you have more questions please feel free to ask.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users