Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wireless Card Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

I have a new laptop and the wireless card does not turn itself on when Windows starts up. Also, when the laptop goes into standby mode the wireless networks get disabled, even though the wireless card is on. The only way to get wireless back up is to repair the wireless connection (right click on wireless network icon in notification area and choose Repair).

Can anybody help me sort this out as it's very annoying.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:08 PM

It's normal to disconnect when in standby.

Do you have up-to-date drivers?
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

Yes, it's brand new, so should have the up to date driver. I will search for the most up to date driver for the wireless card and try that.

I have another identical laptop here for somebody else and it doesn't do it on that one. When I bring the system out of standby, the wireless card remains on, but I have to repair the wireless connection to get connected.

Yes, it's brand new, so should have the up to date driver. I will search for the most up to date driver for the wireless card and try that.

I have another identical laptop here for somebody else and it doesn't do it on that one. When I bring the system out of standby, the wireless card remains on, but I have to repair the wireless connection to get connected.

EDIT: According to "Driver Detective" the wireless driver is up to date.

Edited by WelshSteve, 08 October 2009 - 04:16 AM.

#4 Guest_WelshSteve_*

Guest_WelshSteve_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:06 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? When Windows first starts, the wireless card is not on and I have to use the function key shortcut to turn it on. This causes problems, and as the user of this laptop isn't that computer literate, I can guarantee they'll forget they need to do this every time. Surely it should be on as default?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users