Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home runs out of memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hagbag69

hagbag69

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:08 AM

Hi all,

I've got an Acer Aspire 5920 1.66Ghz T5450 Core2 Duo, 2GB DDR <358 MB Intel GMA X3100 with Vista Home on it. It'll run programs quite happily for 30-60 minutes (depending on paging file size), then up comes an error "Microsoft Windows Programs, Insufficient Memory, save your work, exit and restart programs to fix it".

Watching the Task Manager's Performance graphic, the physical memory use creeps up and up until the error appears. Then the best thing to do is disconnect from the mains and remove the battery from the laptop cos nothing else works as well.

I've thrown all my artillery at it:
Memtestx86
CCleaner
AVG
Spybot
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes Antimalware
Defrg, ScanDisk /f
Memory paging file administered by Windows, assigned by me, the larger the file, the slower the memory "leak"

Have disabled:
Windows Defender
Internet Printing Client,
Tablet PC optional components,
Windows Meeting Space,
ReadyBoost,
Windows Error Reporting Service,
Windows DFS Replication Service,
Remote Differential Component,
UAC
and SuperLaunch (is that what it was called?)

I can't pinpoint exactly when this started happening. There are "no" programs running. The OS starts, all the little Acer processes get going, AVG, MSN & Yahoo Msngr startup (and disabling Msngr at startup makes no difference)

Virtual Memory is currently set at 2337MB on C:, nothing on D:, managed by the OS. As I said above, upping the VM file size just slows the leak down.

Makes no difference. Any suggestions?
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:09 AM

If in budget, try upgrading RAM Amounts. Like, actual RAM. And Vista really is bad... try XP or Ubuntu. But NOT SEVEN.

Edited by SteinPooch, 12 October 2009 - 11:10 AM.

#3 akuigla

akuigla

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

Hi,
In my opinion you need to take basic control of your pc.I would download first a small program called Startuplite from malwarebytes.com.Run this program and accept suggestions.
Then download pc-decrapfiles from pcdecrapifier.com and follow the suggestions
Then download antirootkit from sophos.com and run it.It will take about one hour to finish the scan and automatically select crap to be removed.I advice you to run afterwards AFT by Atribune.You will be surprised with the amount of crap removed!
You will need a good protection because you disabled all of your virus and malware protection.Please go to grc.com,site managed by Steve Gibson-a security guru, and learn how to use DEP-data execution prevention,already inside your pc,to protect all files!!Also use Shieldsup! to examine your vulnerability.They will examine more than 1200 ports on your pc!
Install Spywareblaster.It will keep any othe infections and its very lite on your memory.
Download and install Advanced system care by Iobit.If you wish disable registry cleaner option and run it.I completely support bleepingcomputer opinion not to use a registry cleaners,so be careful with mesing up with registry!
Well,I believe that you do often a check disk and disk defragmenter,because these are essentials for your pc health.
Download Fixit from Microsoft site and check one by one item.
Run Eset online scanner and let it remove anything it finds!
Good luck!

Edited by akuigla, 12 October 2009 - 02:19 PM.

If you give a fish to a hungry man,you have feed him for one day.If you teach a man how to fish,you have feed him for the whole life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users