Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acer aspire one

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gneb

gneb

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:22 AM

hi! my friend's laptop is an aspire one acer with intel atom processor and windows xp OS.... when i turn it on the dos-like screen that says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked. If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed. or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally." Then choices shows Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and Start Windows normally.

I tried all those but to no avail. When i choose something, it goes to the windows screen that's supposed to show a log in screen. However it just stops suddenly and shows a blue screen which i cant read what it's saying since it just restarts after that.. and after it restarted, it just goes to the "dos-like" screen that i mentioned earlier and do the same thing...

i can try just reformatting the laptop, but my friend has some important stuff on it so i cant just do that without getting the saved files... which i dont know how to get coz of the above problem... please help me guys... either how to get that files or to fix the problem itself... thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SeftonCR

SeftonCR

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi

First thing is to see what the Blue Screen is saying and then we can go about curing it. It shouldn't be a hopeless case so no need to panic yet.

Start up the machine but keep tapping F8 during start-up. You'll get a menu similar to the one you've seen but there'll be an option in there that says "Disable Automatic System restart" or something along those lines.

Highlight that one and then when it reaches the bluescreen, it'll simply halt - so now you can copy what it says (The first line is the important one, an error message followed probably by an error code starting 0x.....)

Post back here with what it says & we'll take it from there. Have you got an XP CD? We'll probably be needing that next - but don't panic, we're not going to be simply wiping the system - oh no :thumbsup:

Cheers

#3 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:24 AM

dont worry im not panic-king... lol

i completely forgot about that f8 thing... thanks! the blue screen says:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check to be sure u have adequeate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters. Check with your harware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If u need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart ur computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select Safe mode. "

and yeah i have an xp cd, although it's the one for Dell...

#4 SeftonCR

SeftonCR

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

Does it not start off with an error message/code with 0x?????

If not, then it may well be hardware related. Have you got a bootable memory test cd? (I use memtest.iso)

#5 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

umm im not sure... good thing though i was able to borrow an external cdrom so i just used the dell xp cd that i have. it's workin now and all the files are still there. however since the laptop is an acer, and i used a dell xp cd, there are some error messages that pop out such as: "microsoft feeds synchronization has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience." it seems harmless though since it doesnt do anything at all when i close the msg box. however, i still want to get rid of it. there are 2 more error messages but since it's not poppin out yet, i'll just post here when i see it.... so yeah.. problem now is how to get rid of that "microsoft feeds synchronization"

#6 gneb

gneb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

i'll try to search also for that while im still online...

#7 SeftonCR

SeftonCR

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:20 AM

umm im not sure... good thing though i was able to borrow an external cdrom so i just used the dell xp cd that i have. it's workin now and all the files are still there.

Cool. Glad to hear it's working. You've done a repair install which just overlays the critical files, preserving the original user data so you should be fine.

Try downloading ccleaner (www.ccleaner.com) & using the registry cleaner. Beware of other unknown registry cleaners, they may not be friendly! CCleaner is a goodie though.

there are some error messages that pop out such as: "microsoft feeds synchronization has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience." it seems harmless though since it doesnt do anything at all when i close the msg box. however, i still want to get rid of it.

It is part of the Windows RSS platform that monitors RSS feeds you've subscribed to. If you don't use it, you can turn it off:

1. In IE7 click the Tools button and select Internet Options from the pop-up menu.
2. On the Content tab of the Internet Options dialog box, click the Settings button in the Feeds section of the dialog box.
3. In the Feed Settings dialog box, uncheck the "Automatically check feeds for updates" check box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users