Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javascript Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 29regrets

29regrets

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:09 AM

Hello.

I'm having some problems with Java apparently and for no apparent reason.

Suddenly, I'm unable to view videos on YouTube and any little Java apps or whatever refuse to work.

On YouTube, I get the "Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player." message even though neither is true. I have the most up-to-date version of java installed and running, I've used the unistall tool for Flash Player and reinstalled the latest version, I've restarted my computer and checked in services to see if java is running and it appears to be.

The only event that seems to have coincided with this sudden problem is the blocking of an ad with Adblock Plus when I was viewing my Yahoo Mail. I've re-enabled the ad I blocked, even tried disabling Adblock on the pages where I'm having problems but all has been for naught.

Can someone please help? This is driving me nuts. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:53 AM

Java and Javascript aren't the same thing. Forget about Java. Flash can be very confusing and Adobe doesn't help. The symptoms indicate that though you think you have the latest version of Flash, you don't. I suggest you go through the process of uninstalling and reinstalling Flash as it could have been corrupted.

#3 29regrets

29regrets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

But I already did that - since this problem arose. I guess I could try it again but I doubt it'll change anything.

#4 29regrets

29regrets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Is Flash going to prevent something like the following from working?

"java script:IMVU.AvatarCard.showPopup(28170483)"

#5 29regrets

29regrets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

Okay, I used the uninstall Flash tool then rebooted. Now, when I try to reinstall Flash I get this:

"getPlus +®: Error:
Installation is corrupt! (followed by a series of numbers and letters)"

I've tried this three times now and keep getting the same result.

So now what? :thumbsup:

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

According to this, this error has to do with Adobe Download Manager. You have to uninstall it and then install Flash.

http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/...235_please_help

#7 29regrets

29regrets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

Did everything they said. No Adobe Download Manager in Add/Remove Programs. No getPlus files were found on search. Still, I used the uninstall tool, rebooted then attempted to reinstall Flash and got the same file corrupted message.

After that, I used the executable file recommended here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

I'm still having problems with some things like IMVU though I can watch videos on YouTube now. (I was able to watch them after I disabled AdBlockPlus for YouTube. I tried this at IMVU and nothing changed.)

I did notice something I'd never seen before. In Firefox, under Tools, I have "Error Console". Curious, I opened it and found a ton of errors and warnings like:

"Expected declaration but found '*'. Skipped to next declaration."
"Unknown property 'zoom'. Declaration dropped."
"extend failed, please check that all dependencies are included."
"YAHOO.widget.Panel is not a constructor"
"IMVU.AvatarCard.observeOnlineStatus is not a function"
"IMVU.badgeTooltip is undefined"

Does this stuff mean anything?

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:43 AM

I don't use Firefox but I suggest that you may be having problems with addons so you might want to tinker around with them. It's a very common problem.

#9 29regrets

29regrets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

And today everything is fine. Heheh. Oh well.

Thanks for all your help. Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users