Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to remove my fire wall in I use a router.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:36 PM

At present I have K.I.S. 2009. I'm thinking of installing a router hard wired and a different A/V. Would it be safe. Is a router as good as a fire wall program? Two computers hard wired. Can you have a router and a fire wall program at the same time for more security?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

You SHOULD have that combination. The software firewall plus the hardware wall (router). Plus one antivirus and perhaps 2 antispyware tools on board. Especially If you have an "always on" cable or DSL broadband connection, you need these.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 pyr8t

pyr8t

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:19 AM

Also of note, a software firewall will often alert you of inbound/outbound traffic that don't have a rule set up for it yet. A router usually will let everything out w/o question unless you've configured it pretty tight. Even then, I would agree a software firewall can provide a very good complementary level of protection a router alone cannot.

#4 Pondus

Pondus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:31 AM

Do I Need a Firewall? http://askbobrankin.com/do_i_need_a_firewall.html

Do I need a firewall, and if so, what kind? http://ask-leo.com/do_i_need_a_firewall_an..._what_kind.html

Edited by Pondus, 09 October 2009 - 01:32 AM.

#5 BubbaT

BubbaT

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

Let's put it this way. A hardware firewall, which is what you see on a router ( *if* the router comes with a firewall ), correctly configured should stop any person trying to breakin by exploiting holes in the OS. ( Of course if you allow inbound connections with a password and a bad guy gets that password, then no kind of firewall can help you. )

However a hardware firewall will very likely not stop a piece of malware already on your system from connecting out--for example to add your computer to a botnet.
Your software firewall, if it allows access by application, will send up a red flag ( "This_piece_of_spyware.exe" is trying to establish an outside connection, allow? )
if malware is trying to connect out. THus letting you know that you have spyware.

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

Thank to all for the information.

#7 tman 1

tman 1

• Members