Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Sony SDM-M81 Monitor To Dell E310 PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IceFire

IceFire

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:36 PM

I have a Dell E310 desktop PC and have been using a CRT monitor with no problem. Someone gave me a Sony SDM-M81 flat panel monitor and said that it works. When I connected it to my pc, I got an onscreen message which reads "Cable Disconnected Input 1 Go To Power Save." All cable connections are tight and secure. I had a live chat at Sony's Web site and the advisor didn't know why this was happening. I consulted the user manual which suggests that I make sure all connections are secure, which they are. My pc has a simple VGA connector and USB ports in the back of the unit. There is no other place to connect a monitor, and my CRT monitor is connected to the VGA connector and works very well. The user manual says that the Sony monitor does not need any drivers. The monitor was manufactured in 2001. My computer was manufactured in 2006. Do you think a driver is necessary despite what the user manual says? Do I need some other kind of cable? The one that comes with the monitor is a DVI-HD15 (analog RGB) video signal cable. It fits perfectly into the VGA connector of my pc, but the monitor just doesn't operate. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much for your assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:00 PM

No, you shouldn't need drivers at all.

What color is the insert on the monitor? Blue is VGA while White is DVI (Digital). If the plug on the monitor is White and the one on the computer is blue, you need an adaptor, like this:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_...&sku=26957#

I don't think you need to spend that much money on one but does this look like what you need?

One other thing. Have you tried the monitor in any other computer?

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users