Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I disable Microsoft Fax - in XP

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adamsmith070

adamsmith070

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

Just installed XP Prof. SP2, just a few hours now
And already subject to frequent freezes
Event viewer shows several warning around these times w/ Microsoft Fax as source.
Message from event =>

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Microsoft Fax
Event Category: Initialization/Termination
Event ID: 32068
Date: 10/6/2009
Time: 7:12:06 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MACH-1
Description:
The outgoing routing rule is not valid because it cannot find a valid device. The outgoing faxes that use this rule will not be routed. Verify that the targeted device or devices (if routed to a group of devices) is connected and installed correctly, and turned on. If routed to a group, verify that the group is configured correctly. Country/region code: '*' Area code: '*'

Don't need all these bells and whistles, especially when they do not work well.

How do I remove this feature?

Thanks!

"How do I disable Microsoft Fax - in XP"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gammers

Gammers

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

Hello Adam,

Perhaps I can help you... How about just uninstalling the Windows Fax program? Since you said you just installed Windows XP SP2, I'm going to assume you have the CD so that you can install it again if you like?

To Uninstall the Fax program:

Click the Windows Start button (usually lower left corner) then...
A) click "Settings" and then "Control Panel" OR
:thumbsup: click "Control Panel" if you can see it on the Start menu

Once you are in the Control Panel, click "Add and Remove Programs," let the screen populate, then look to the left for "Add/Remove Windows Components." Click upon that. You will now see the "Windows Components Wizard." You can click into to "uncheck" the Fax Services box. When it is unchecked, click upon the "Next" button, and you should be on your way to uninstalling the FAX services.

Granting you prefer to disable the FAX, I'll have to let someone else hop in for that, since I don't have it on my machine now and can't walk you through it.

Hope the above helps.

Gammers

PS. If, for some reason, you cannot uninstall the FAX and/or someone doesn't hop in with how to disable it, let us know. If need be, I will install the FAX and then learn how to disable it :flowers: Actually, I think the Windows FAX is cool, in that you can plug a phone cord into your machine and a phone jack (regular modular phone line, and granting your machine has a modem), then quickly FAX things like Word documents, graphics, etc. right out. As I recall, you can send documents and graphics etc. straight from the program you do the work in to the FAX, then open the FAX app, do or not do a cover sheet, and set it up very simply to FAX to the number you want it headed. Fairly simple after the first time of looking at it. Similarly, someone can FAX you a document and you can catch it right inside your machine - VERY handy, in some instances as it cuts out the FAX to my "fax machine" then scan, then pull the scan into the computer.

The XP FAX service isn't a fussy/complicated thing with lots of headstands that it can perform, it is just simple and effective -- nice to have on board, BUT not when it is giving you errors :trumpet:

Edited by Gammers, 06 October 2009 - 10:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users