Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A bright beacon of hope...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 staydetuned

staydetuned

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

Well, this certainly looks like the place to be to get this little problem figured out. Want to first of all say a big THANK YOU to those of you out there taking your time to help us less experienced folks with our computer issues. If you're in the SF Bay Area come out to my bar - the drinks are on me! Also I'm extremely impressed with the organization of this site and this forum; it looks like it's possible for even the least computer savvy user to get walked-through to the solution of very complicated problems.

I've been a long time PC user and learned most of what (little) I know by dealing with issues like these. It's been a while though. I vaguely remember having to fiddle with autoexec.bats and config.syss back in the day, moving wee bits of memory all around to get my games to work. Those were the days... I'm not sure what's changed, other than the incredible sophistication of viruses (I'm pretty sure I had/have one that thwarts my efforts to install antivirus software, or even to visit antivirus websites).

Well, hopefully you guys can help me out. I've been without my computer for a month, tried so many fixes, none of which worked... And finally I think I've come to the right place. Well, I'm going to get started here. Thanks for the welcome, and let's see what happens...

Jayson in San Francisco

Edited by staydetuned, 06 October 2009 - 07:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hello Jayson and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users