Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get both IDE and SATA Drives to work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 giddeup

giddeup

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

Ok,
At the moment I amd running two IDE hard drives. The other day I picked up a brand new SATA drive as the IDE are getting full. I have an ABIT KN8 motherboard that has never had SATA hooked up. I have gone into BIOS and the SATA is enabled and from reading the instructions there are no jumpers to connect. The problem I am having is I cannot get the computer to run the SATA drive, it keeps comming up saying there is a problem and then won't let me access the drive. I realy don't want to have to install windows on the new drive I would just like to copy all the info accross and then use the two IDE as storage for pics and stuff. I am running windows XP if this helps.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:22 PM

That board appears to have 2 PATA connectors and 4 SATA connectors, http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard...TYPE=Socket+939

What drives are connected right now on this board? One hard drive and one optical drive? Is the SATA drive connected

Does the connected SATA drive appear in My Computer? If it's not formatted, it won't.

<<...it keeps comming up saying there is a problem and then won't let me access the drive.>>

What exactly...is the message you receive? When does it appear onscreen?

<<...I would just like to copy all the info accross and then use the two IDE as storage...>>

That can be done rather easily...by just cloning your current hard drive to the new SATA drive...then changing the boot order in the BIOS so that it will boot from the SATA drive first. Someone here can guide you through that.

Louis

#3 giddeup

giddeup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:43 PM

Currently I have the two hard drives on the one cable, Two DVD drives on IDE. No the SATA drive is not connected I disconnected it once I could not get it to work. I don't belive it has been formated so how do I do this. Once I plug the drive in it comes up saying that it is invalid and then closes the dialog box. It won't show on the my computer screen but in the properties it comes up. It also says that the drives are not instaled and has an exclamation mark next to it. I have read on another site after googleing this problem that there is a problem within windows with hooking up both IDE and SATA, is this true or not.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

<<I have read on another site after googleing this problem that there is a problem within windows with hooking up both IDE and SATA, is this true or not.>>

One thing to always remember...about anything you see on the Internet...is that humans express a lot of inaccurate things on the Web, just as there is a great deal of factual information.

I'm sure that I could find a site where someone still persists in believing that the world as we know it...is flat. That does not make that person's premise valid.

I know of no "problem within windows with hooking up both IDE and SATA" but I don't know everything, nor try to.

I have two desktops with motherboards supporting both types of devices and I've not seen any evidence of a problem caused by such. Is it really feasible to believe that standard motherboard makers...would make boards with both types of connections...if there were an inherent problem with using such?

Anyway...

To format a new drive, you can use Windows Disk Management function, Disk Management - http://www.theeldergeek.com/disk_management.htm

Although My Computer/Explorer cannot "see" an unformatted hard drive...Disk Management sees any drive which is properly connected to the motherboard. Soooo...even though a drive may not show up in My Computer, it may be reflected in Disk Management. It will also be reflected in the BIOS.

http://www.xpmaximized.com/archives/xp-usb...ve-format-.html

As I stated, Windows will not/cannot recognize a drive which is attached...until that drive is formatted. Formatting is what allows Windows to determine that there is hard drive space which can be used for storing data.

There is a free utility which can be used to clone/copy a drive, which I suggest that you take a look at: EASEUS Partition Master is a magic partition manager software for Windows 2000-XP-Vista-2003- - http://www.partition-tool.com/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users