Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA ll

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dwolf

dwolf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

I have a small problem with my kids pc she has a et1161-03 it has sata ll hard drive here is the ? her motherboard got killed by lightning through the ethernet cable any how we just can't get a new board right now but I have a older emachine that has 4 sata ports but the power plug is different is there a way to make her drive work in the older pc? can i wire up a plug? or won't the sata ll work in the old sata pc? she has her portfolio on there and needs it to apply for collage any help please thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

The power plug is the least of your problems. They have little adaptors available, to switch the type of power plug.

The problem comes with trying to boot from the drive. The chipsets and cpu need to be similar in order to be able to boot from that drive.

If all you wish to do is to make it a second drive on a single drive system, it should work fine. You won't be able to run any programs but you will be able to access the data.

Here is a neat little tool that will make that drive a USB drive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UO6C5S

I hope this helps.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 07 October 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#3 dwolf

dwolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:17 PM

ok thanks that is all we are wanting to do is get here data off the drive here is my next ? will the power supply from the emachine e1161-03 work in the older emachine T6000 that would give me the power plug needed or can i just jumper the power supply some how to turn it on and use the lead.

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:48 AM

That little SATA-USB adaptor comes with its own power adaptor. You plug that into a standard wall socket.

I would not swap any power supply used in a eMachine. They are usually underpowered and the power supply is usually the first thing to go.

I hope this helps.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users