Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding Drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:00 AM

Ok I just put Ubuntu Linux on the Family Compaq Desktop, because my Windows XP disk is severally scratched and I can't use it. :thumbsup:

Well its a Compaq Presario 6301RSH. I installed Ubuntu successfuly, however the resolution is at 640x480 and it won't let me change it. Is there anywhere I can find Linux drivers for this.

Here is the information about the computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...t=213908&os=228

Also I just found out I need sound drivers as well, and while I'm thinking of it, can I install a HP psc1315 printer?

Edited by yanowhiz, 28 July 2005 - 11:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:23 PM

hello yanowhiz, I haven't been about for a while just getting back into it. There is an app called NdisWrapper that wraps a windows driver into a recognisable Linux kernal module (i think, haven't had anything to do with it myself).
NdisWrapper can be found here:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/

Also it will pay for you to read the Wiki book which is here:-
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawi...x.php/Main_Page

Sorry i can't help you more but i hope it helps. :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 02:01 PM

Ok thank you very much, I'll have to try it. My friend let me borrow his CD, because my mom hates linux. She doesn't understand it, I just toldher to click the little blue world icon for the internet, but I guess she didn't understand that. :lol"

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

I know what you mean, no-one likes using my computer because it has linux, solaris and a very skinned/themed XP so thats kind of a security defense in itself. I'm looking into NdisWrapper myself for a wireless USB stick driver (MA111) let me know if you need to use it and i'll tell you if i had any luck. Cheers.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:06 PM

Yea my plans are to wait for Vista to come out then I'm gonna reformat my hard drive and make 5 partitions on my 250GB hdd. I want to have one for Linux, Windows XP, and Windows Vista.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users