Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB no long working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goodgunsm

goodgunsm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

Everything was working fine on my wifes desktop until I did a back up with a Western Digital external drive.

It installed a back up program and ran forever backing up data.

Then when I finally decided it was done and shut down, next time I booted up there was an Icon in the task bar saying that the back up was incomplete.

However, now all the usb ports are inactive.

Device manager says all the usb port are working OK and I checked for new drivers but it says I have the latest ones.

This is an HP desktop running XP home with SP3.

Everything else works but when a flash card or camera is pluged into the USB, nothing lights up and no messages open on the screen like they used to.

I'm running Avast antivirus and Zone Alarm firewall. Plus Spyblaster and Adaware.

Following is the Hijackthis report if that helps.

EDIT: Superfluous HJT log removed to allow post to remain in this forum, for quicker assistance. If Log is ultimately needed ask that it be re-input. It is saved in moderator area. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

Try uninstalling the USB controllers and then rebooting, General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575.

I suggest that you edit your initial post and remove that HJT log. If you fail to do so, your thread will probably wind up in one of the malware forums, where HJT logs are requested and processed when dealing with malware situations.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 October 2009 - 08:13 AM.

#3 goodgunsm

goodgunsm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

I did uninstall the USB controllers but didn't help. I have discovered the USB ports in the back of the computer work but those in the front do not.

I was told the USB card may be defective by an online help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

My experience is that onboard NICs and onboard USB...may present more problems than merit serious attention...at times.

I suggest that everyone always keep a backup PCI NIC and PCI USB 2.0 card...to quickly start troubleshooting apparent problems with these two functions.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users