Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerDistress

ComputerDistress

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Hello all. I've tried several things to no avail. I need some extra help.

A friends PC is getting this error:

STOP: c000021a [fatal system error]
Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080' (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The System has been shut down.

What occurred before this error popped up:

1. Upgraded dvd43 software, booted, and this error came up.

I have tried multiple things.

1. Ran the bootfix
2. Tried the Recovery Console with their diagnostics
3. Tried to get to Safe Mode and it will not load, goes back to this message.
4. Tried to overlay the XP image (refresh it), no avail, back to the same message.

I haven't found anything on the web that can help me so far. Looking to take the next step and ask for help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED
This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised. Security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP canít run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur as a result of malware infestation or when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

I've never gotten this particular error...but if I did, i would treat it as a malware situation until proven otherwise.

Louis

#3 ComputerDistress

ComputerDistress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

What type of options do I have if this is malware? The only options I know of which is to try and refresh the install I've tried. Is there a tool that tries to remove the malware that can be run from the Recovery Mode? Or some sort of remover that can be run from startup?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

I can only tell you how I approach these things, you decide if any approach suggested by me or anyone else...makes sense to you and your situation.

The option I would employ...if I chose not to simply delete the install and do a clean install...BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/.

Mind you, I am not saying that this particular STOP error signals an infection...but I tend to believe that such is possible and must be disproven...before I extend any time and energy trying to "repair" a situation that may lie beyond repair. The possibility of malware is something I like to eliminate from consideration as quickly as possible.

Reinstalling XP is no inconvenience for me, I have backups, install CDs, and valid licenses...and plenty of time to do such if the need arise.

Others here may offer more palatable options/suggestions to you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users