Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Security Malware has got me good and proper!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 technophobesrus

technophobesrus

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

I am really rubbish with computers and only really use them for word and excel applications for work and social emailing at home (and booking the odd holiday)! I don't even know how to use tis site properly!!

When I log onto my laptop, this Total Security thing starts running so I 'X' out of it to stop it. I then try and run my Norton Security (which in my opinion is a total rip off and I won't be renewing it when I can download better stuff for free!) but the the screen goes blank and says Windows has a problem and shuts down!!! What do I do? Do I let the TS thing run? I'm really stuck with this now.

I really need my laptop for social emailing (rare medical condition and I need the support group) help help help!

:thumbsup:

MOD Edit: moving from XP to the Am I Infected Forum

Edited by boopme, 06 October 2009 - 03:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

These are the steps to remove Total Security.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...-total-security

When you are ready to remove Norton, let us know. There is a piece of software that rids your computer of it all. :thumbsup:

Also, get yourself a free downloadable copy of malwarebytes anti-malware. Run it.
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti...4-10804572.html

Edited by Shandley, 06 October 2009 - 03:12 PM.

#3 technophobesrus

technophobesrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Am I being extra thick? I've got as far as step 2 and something is running but I can't rename it or anything???? :thumbsup:

Bear with me .... I usually get there in the end, just by a longer route than most folks!

GOT THERE! do I just wait for it to run? Got to stage 5 and the explorer.exe is there but no drop down from there. I'm assuming I have to wait a bit?

Edited by technophobesrus, 06 October 2009 - 03:35 PM.

#4 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

Thats ok, lots have run into the step 2 problem.

Try running the malwarebytes software, if you can.

install malwarebytes , update it (third tab from left - make *sure* the date is "today's" date) and run the quick scan (first tab on the left)

follow the directions - it will tell you the "scan is complete" - then select "show results" - then "remove selected"

it will prompt you to restart after that - do it

Edited by Shandley, 06 October 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#5 technophobesrus

technophobesrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:10 PM

Right........

I've run the malwarebytes stuff - I had 854 errors but it only let me fix 20. It said I had to pay if I wanted anymore.

I've then run the iexplore.exe (managed to rename it afterall) but it isn't giving the dropdown options showing tse.exe???

By the way - the Total Security thingy has stopped popping up and it isn't in my bottom toolbar either. It is showing in my add/uninstall programs menu though! Should I try and uninstall it? It does look different now, the blue shield has been replaced with what looks like a crumpled old tin??? Bizarre! It says it's size is 1.17MB
:thumbsup:

#6 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

If you didn't install Total, remove Total.

Now, that many errors suggests a biiiger problem starting to develop.

Your first line of defense is to not download anything. The 2nd is to read everything you are downloading and installing instead of clicking next, next, next. You third is a good Malware program. Try downloading Spybot and do an update and scan. It's free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users