Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get Zone Alarm and AVG to work together

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 the_moose

the_moose

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:09 AM

Hi. I've recently got rid of Norton and have got ZoneAlarm Pro 5 and AVG Pro 7 to hopefully do a better job. Problem is that I'm not as good as I thought I was with computers and I seem to be having a bit of bother setting them up together...

I can't get the ZAP to detect that I have AVG installed, and when I use my AOL to access the internet, most of the pictures are replaced by little white squares with a red X in them. I've tried to follow the set up guides but can't see what it is that I'm doing wrong. I keep being told that I have cookies disabled when I have enabled them for the site I am visiting, and also AOL tells me that it cannot detect my firewall...... All in all it's not as good a start as I'd hoped!

I tried to use the automated assistant but each time I tried it told me either I had cookies blocked or the information was out of date and the connection had timed out! Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, Moose.

Windows XP Pro
ZoneAlarm Pro Version: 5.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:28 PM

I'm not sure of the relation of AOL or AVG to ZA so this may not apply.
Also if AVG is a firewall, you have a problem in that two firewalls are a bad idea.

Just from ZA point of view:
The little squares represent placeholders for ads or illustrations. If you don't want them, shut'm off. If you do, go ahead alow them but be careful.

In ZA you can ask to see all the ads - Privacy section, Main tab, Ad blocking.
Illustrations are a different matter - it could be web bugs, or anything else.
Navigate around those settings and it might work.

Finally, in ZA also on the programs tab there are numerous settings 5 or 6 of them where you can easily customize each application. So if you trust whatever AOL runs, you can place more checkmarks but I wouldn't give'm server rights. You can also customize on the privacy tab every place you visit.

#3 the_moose

the_moose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2005 - 01:17 PM

Thanks for the reply tos226, I'll see how I get on...sorry it's taken a while to get back to you, been busy at work and away from the computer.

Cheers again, Moose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users