Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Magic Error 110

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shandley

Shandley

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

Greetings,

I think I know the cause but I am trying to play it safe. Here is my issue:

I used Partition Magic to copy a partition (the entire thing) of a hard drive, lets call this one 'A', to a new hard drive, 'B'.

I then used 'B' to do some repairing of Windows (originally on Hard Drive 'A') which I want to copy back over to 'A' once it was all completed.

I still wanted a copy of the original (Hard Drive A) before I copied the modified partition back to 'A'. I did that on a second partition of 'B' using partition magic.

So, 'A' still has the original. 'B' Partition 1 has the data I want on 'A,' and 'B' Partition 2 has the original backup. In other words, two drive have the same data on it but the 2nd drive has 2 partitions. Confused yet? lol

Here is my problem. I load up Partition Magic to copy over the modified backup (Hard Drive B, Partition 1) to Hard Drive A but Partition Magic shows an error of 110. I read up on it and it makes mention of having 2 partitions with one being a dos partition and the other a windows. That's not what I have but there are two windows partitions (with OS) on both Partition 1 and Partition 2. Would this cause this error? Is there a way out of this without buying another drive and backing up? I want to make damn sure I have back ups. Partition Magic wont let me do anything with the drive that shows this error

Here it is again:

As of right now:
Hard Drive A: Original
Hard Drive B Partition1: Modified Original
Hard Drive B Partition2: Backup of Original

How I want it:
Hard Drive A: Modified Original (Backup)
Hard Drive B Partition1: Modified Original
Hard Drive B Partition2: Original

Edited by Shandley, 06 October 2009 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Error #110 Partition table number of sectors is inconsistent
The hard-disk partition table contains two inconsistent descriptions of the number of sectors on the hard-disk. This error is serious if both DOS and another operating system use the hard-drive. Because DOS uses one description and other operating systems use the other data loss is likely once the partition is almost full.

Does this make sense?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Shandley

Shandley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:57 PM

Yep! Except neither of the partitions are a DOS partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users