Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

set up home server network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cjfalkenbury

cjfalkenbury

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

Ok this is gona seem like alot but im hoping that some one can help me out. i have acuired an HP proliant dl380 server witch i want to run as a file sharing for my homme and to e able to accsess from other locations. i have backed up all my dvd's and dont want to keep pluging in my external to my PS3. i want ot be able to run movies on my PS3 from the server also be able to accsess them from work or away. also i have a security cam that i would like to be able to accses through the server as well. is this all possible what do i need, how much will this slow down my internet connection, i am also wondering if windows server 2003 is the best to run or is there a better simpler OS to run. i know this is alot but im really excited about geting started.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:14 PM

Everything you talked about doing, except the streaming to the PS3, I know can be done. I'm not saying the streaming can't be done, I just don't own a PS3 so I don't know if it can be done or not lol.

What you are asking about tho is a bit more than I think would be able to be covered in this sort of setting. As far as the networking side of things, if you install the OS and can connect to the net, its then permissions inside the OS that will allow you to do everything you want.

Windows Server 2003 will work just fine. If you own a copy of it and are familiar with it then its a great choice. But its not the only choice. There are many flavors of Linux to chose from as well. Drivers might be an issue but not so much now a days.

My best advice to you would be, read some of the forums here. There are ones dedicated to Windows and Linux. Alot of Linux versions offer a bootable CD version so you can get the feel of them. But when you decide on one, I would then buy a book on it. See if there is a Dummies series on it. Read up on it, I am sure most will have guides on how to set up different things inside. I wish you the best of luck, sounds like fun. =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users