Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop can't connect to internet anymore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AeroMonk

AeroMonk

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

For some unknown reason I can't get an internet connection. I think I accidentally changed a setting on my wireless router and now my internet has stopped working. 

I made sure my ISP's Modem was working, by connecting my laptop directly to my modem via a cat 5e cross-over cable. And I was right, my internet worked fine so I'm sure the problem is with the wireless router. I plugged my laptop directly into the wireless router via the same ethernet cable and I opened up firefox and typed (http://192.168.0.1) into the URL. 

That took me into my routers settings. I checked to make sure everything was setup correctly, the WPA-PSK password stuff, the SSID, the right channel, etc... And I made sure all of those settings were the same on my laptop. I double and triple checked everything and as far as I can tell, everything was setup properly. But I obviously missed or screwed something up, because I still can't connect to the internet. 

I don't know if this will help, but when Internet Explorer can't connect to the internet it lets me go thru a Diagnostic Tool to try and figure out the problem. Here's part of the results log:

Gateway Diagnostic
*. Hostname www.microsoft.com could not be resolved (Error code 0x2afc). Could be either gateway or DNS issue. 

IP Layer Diagnostic
Corrupted IP routing table
*  Found a default route (gateway) not associated with the selected network connection. 

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Connectivity
*  HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
*  HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
*  FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
*  HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
*  HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
*  FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
*  error could not make an HTTP connection.
 *  error could not make an HTTPS connection.
*  error could not make an FTP connection.

Here are my devices: 
1)  Dell Inspiron 5150 Laptop
Windows XP SP3

2)  My ISP's modem has the model name "Ambit". My ISP is Charter High Speed Internet

3)  D-Link Wireless Broadband Router
Model Number:  DIR-615
Hardware Version:  C1
Firmware Version:  3.01

4)  D-Link Laptop Card 
Model Number:  DWA-642
Hardware Version:  A2
Firmware Version:  2.01

The security mode that I was using before was WPA-PSK
Cipher Type:  TKIP
Pre-shared Key:  *********

Please help me get my internet working again. 

Thanks In Advance, 
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:01 AM

When you were connected to the router wired, could you connect?

I would reset the router via the reset switch. Normally located on the back of the router, you'll need a needle or straightened out paper clip. Hold it for a few seconds then release. This will wipe out all settings on the router. So you'll have to set it up again. You'll also need to reset the security on the laptop as well. Reset it all back up and see if you connect.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 AeroMonk

AeroMonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

When you were connected to the router wired, could you connect?

I would reset the router via the reset switch. Normally located on the back of the router, you'll need a needle or straightened out paper clip. Hold it for a few seconds then release. This will wipe out all settings on the router. So you'll have to set it up again. You'll also need to reset the security on the laptop as well. Reset it all back up and see if you connect.

When I connected my laptop directly to my wireless router (via cat 5e) I still could not get an internet connection. But when I connected my laptop directly to my ISP's modem, that did give me an internet connection.

I appreciate your advice, but I already tried that. I reset everything and reinstalled my wireless router and laptop card.

Unfortunately, that didn't help because after I set everything back up, I still couldn't get an internet connection. I'm almost 100% positive that my problem is due to a tiny configuration error. I'm sure that I screwed up a small setting, which is now keeping me from accessing the internet. I just need a savvy tech guy to help me find where I made my mistake. I really do think that this problem has a simple fix, I just don't know where to start the troubleshooting process.

Edited by AeroMonk, 06 October 2009 - 08:13 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

After you reset the router and before you set up the security again, did you try to connect to the net? wired? wireless? Because a true reset of the router takes it back to "out of the box" settings.

Do you have a firewall running? What anti virus are you running?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 AeroMonk

AeroMonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

After you reset the router and before you set up the security again, did you try to connect to the net? wired? wireless? Because a true reset of the router takes it back to "out of the box" settings.

Do you have a firewall running? What anti virus are you running?

Yes I did try to connect before everything was setup, and No it did not work. The sad thing is that after everything was setup, I did have internet. But I accidentally changed some unknown setting and immediately the internet connection dropped. I tried my damnedest to find what setting I had changed that way I could just undo my dumb mistake. That's why I'm so sure that my problem has a simple fix, because I accidentally changed some random router setting; and of course I can't remember which thing I changed.

My firewall and antivirus are together, on Norton Internet Security 2009

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:03 PM

Well if you pushed the reset button, whatever setting you changed was wiped out. What you can do is try connecting your PC directly to the modem. Goto a command prompt and type ipconfig /renew hit enter to get a new ip address and see if you can surf. Then you'll know if its the router or something on the PC. If you can surf then you didn't reset the router correctly OR you made the same change to the router you did to start it all. If you can't surf then its something on the PC stopping you.

With the router hooked up again. Open a command prompt and type the ipconfig /renew hit Enter to get a new IP address. Now type ping www.google.com hit Enter and see if the packets go out and come back. While you're there type ipconfig /all hit enter and post what you see on the screen.

Have you disabled the firewall and tried to connect? sometimes firewalls hic-up and rather than open your PC they shut the internet down.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 06 October 2009 - 05:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users