Hi, my laptop is a Dell Inspiron E1505 and I am using Windows XP
Problems (in order of appearance):
- Cannot perform System Restore (haven't been able to in a long time)
- Search engine redirects
- Cannot run Safe Mode (this has happened before, but that was due to a missing file, which I re-installed, and this time it's a different error... "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer")
- Pop-ups (search engines ex. StopSearchClick, virus protection)
- Can't run Spybot: Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or HijackThis
--> "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."
- Both IE and Firefox are crashing frequently
Things I may have done to exacerbate problems while trying to fix them:
- deleting (newly created) files in system32, temp and system folders
I've done a decent job of getting rid of problems in the past, by running searches (and finding great sites/forums like this one) or figuring out what to do on my own (ex. I've been able to locate those ridiculous and merciless pseudo- "virus protection" programs and delete them on my own), but I probably got overzealous and now I have too many problems to be able to find one solution for all of them. Please help? I greatly appreciate any time or assistance (it's amazing what people do on forums like this one to help other people). Thank you and have a nice day!