Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

webroot spysweeper changed to webroot antivirus with spysweeper may cause conflict?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 steveb5

steveb5

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

I was prompted to upgrade my Webroot Spysweeper to a new version. After the installation process it changed from Spysweeper to Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper. Tried to go back to the old Spysweeper version but could not. Does this mean if I want to use it I must uninstall my existing antivirus program? I don't want to use webroot as my antivirus but only it's antispyware. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerNutjob

ComputerNutjob

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

Using two antivirus programs can cause conflict, however, I would recommend either A. uninstalling your current antivirus or B uninstalling webroot and using something else, such as Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad Aware, Spyware doctor, or SuperAntiSpyware.

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,635 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

I just looked at the WebrootŪ AntiVirus with Spy Sweeper user manual and am a bit surprised they don't mention possible conflicts. Most antivirus vendors will make sure you know running more than one antivirus with On Access protection--what Webroot is calling Shields--is not at all recommended because of conflicts and unnecessary demand on resources. You might get away with having an antivirus (AV) that is on demand scanning only, but the only ones I know of are Clam Win and BitDefender Free.

What AV are you running now? Is it commercial or freeware? If freeware, I would uninstall it and stick with Webroot til you get your money's worth from it. When your subscription expires you can decide what you want to do.

If your AV is a commercial product too, I can see your dilemma. If that is the case I think I would contact Webroot support and find out if you really have to use the combination app or if you can revert back to just SpySweeper. I know you say you have tried, but I don't know if you've talked to support yet or not. Be firm, I'm sure they want you to upgrade so they can make more money, but you should have the option to do it or not. If you can't, then I would drop Webroot in a heartbeat, no matter what the cost. I don't appreciate being forced into something by such strongarm tactics.

A good freeware AV like AnitVir will find just about as much as your AV and SpySweeper--not long ago they wouldn't. The protection you get from an AV is sufficient for most people in my opinion, as long as you aren't doing a lot of high risk behavior. A few years ago SpySweeper was a great product, but I've heard grumblings about it the last couple of years.

I also recommend MalwareByte's AnitMalware and SuperAntiSpyware as alternatives to SpySweeper--they are just as good as SpySweeper, if not better. And they are free for on demand scans--if you think you still need some shielding, you can purchase the commercial versions. Personally, I no longer consider Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware as viable anymore.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users