Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 petesimpkin

petesimpkin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 27 July 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hi there....in my sixties and have been learning computers for about two years.got away with no disasters till yesterday.......honestly!... when I accidentally formatted my secondary hard drive ...onto which ...of course I had backed up all my treasures!........got a programme called 'Recover my files'.which it did and it lets me preview everything I lost ,however when I try to save it all to my main hard drive,all i get is the folder and file names.when i try to open anything i get 'not recognised' or 'unable to opn file'.......have i missed something basic?
the trouble is when you close the rescue programme you loose everything and have to start again!
great hobby innit!

Pete

Mod Edit - Split to start a new topic - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 28 July 2005 - 07:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:22 AM

Hello petesimpkin and welcome to BC.

According to the website for that program you need to purchase it to activate it. If you did that the best idea is to contact them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Thor

Thor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:36 AM

Hv u tried PC Inspector File Recovery ? Its free and quite Good at what it does .
Mortals ! Beware of My Wrath Thou hast no choice !!

#4 petesimpkin

petesimpkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for your guidance Leurgy.....it's supposed to be a trial version and actually gets you to the point where you can see the stuff thats been recovered and lets you save it...it's what gets saved thats the problem.
Thor I think I might try your jdea,watch this space.
Other ideas gratefully received1
pete

#5 petesimpkin

petesimpkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:52 PM

Thor...I downloaded this program...how the hell do you get it to actually START?.I am pretty thick but there seems to be no 'go' button?

#6 Thor

Thor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:24 AM

I think : when u execute the setup file [u downloaded], the installation shud be pretty straight forward. ? . Then goto Start>All Program Files>PC Ispector FIle recovery >Pec INSPector . OR From Desktop u can double click the ICON :"PC Inspector..." It shud the ask u to choose the language of preference. Select it. then It shall ask u to select type of search. Select the type which suits ur need. Manual at http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/manual.htm
Mortals ! Beware of My Wrath Thou hast no choice !!

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2005 - 07:12 AM

Testdisk

You might want to try TestDisk this may recover the partition for you and is free.

Active Undelete may also help although this is paid for software or try Active Partition Recovery

Other alternatives.

O&O Disk Recovery

R-Tools File Recovery

Edited by stidyup, 01 August 2005 - 07:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users