Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General question - Advice regarding surfing, please!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tetranitrocubane

Tetranitrocubane

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question in, but I'm running out of options, and no one seems to have a good answer in any of my other haunts. Sorry if it's considered off topic!

Recently I've been asking for help with a program I use frequently, and asking for this help on the developer's official forums. This morning when I went to check the thread, there was a very peculiar post added to the discussion. It said something like 'for detailed answer to question click here', along with a bunch of nonsense HTML code that was out in raw format. I didn't click the link at all, since I was suspicious. Hovering the mouse over the link revealed that it was pointing toward something like "file:///C:/Documents/Blahblahblah", which I've never seen before. The second link in the text, when I hovered over it, redirected back to the post in question on the developer's forums.

By viewing the page with this post on it, did I unwittingly compromise my computer? I know that everyone says that you have to download and run programs for them to infect your machine, but sometimes I read news stories and hear other people say that just visiting a webpage can infect your computer - or that malicious nasties can be 'injected' into a page that you would normally consider safe. I'm going to be running a full scan with MalwareBytes AntiMalware and NOD32 (NOD is always updated and running) as soon as I can, and I have the UAC turned up to the highest level in Windows 7, but this is all reactive rather than preventative.

Can anyone please advise as to the risk involved with viewing forums, and how easy it is to get infected from trusted pages? Again, I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm not entirely sure where else to ask. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

If all you did was hover over the link, you are safe
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users