Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phishing attack targets Hotmail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:23 PM

Phishing attack targets Hotmail

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8291268.stm

Thousands of accounts on web-based e-mail system Hotmail have been compromised in a phishing attack, software giant Microsoft has confirmed.

BBC News has seen a list of more than 10,000 e-mail accounts, predominantly originating from Europe, and passwords which were posted online.

Microsoft said it had launched an investigation.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechDisciple

TechDisciple

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

wow dam it, i have my account their but i swiftly change my password for protection. that sucks make us wonder how private our emails are......

shame on does who use technology for evil purposes.

Edited by TechDisciple, 06 October 2009 - 02:57 AM.

A PROUD FIREFOX 3.6 USER.

A proud player of Deadfrontier online MMO Zombie Apocalypse Game

A proud Member of the Steam Community
Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:01 AM

I had my "B"luesjunior@hotmail account hacked last week an account I have had for 7yrs without a single problem previously and couldn't figure it out how it happened. I certainly never filled out no form for a fake website and ended up thinking that it must have been done from someone hacking a site I am a member of such as BC and silly as it is I do use the same password like so many others.
If as they are trying to say it was a phishing attack wouldnt the results be random and not alphabetical A-B and are there so many people gullible enough to give their private details on demand that they would have to release them alphabetically at 10,000 a time?. I don't believe it, however I do believe that someone hacked the mainframe hotmail computer and got everyones account details. If you or your friends have hotmail accounts I would urge you to change your password, security question. I have changed my email account over to gmail.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

The website (pastebin.com) is experiencing huge levels of activity. Luckily there are legit website used by developers to share code and they're adding extra filters to ensure this doesn't happend again. Wonder what would have happend if this list was posted on a Warez site *cough* Mass Hacking *cough*

#5 TechDisciple

TechDisciple

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:19 AM

I had my "B"luesjunior@hotmail account hacked last week an account I have had for 7yrs without a single problem previously and couldn't figure it out how it happened. I certainly never filled out no form for a fake website and ended up thinking that it must have been done from someone hacking a site I am a member of such as BC and silly as it is I do use the same password like so many others.
If as they are trying to say it was a phishing attack wouldnt the results be random and not alphabetical A-B and are there so many people gullible enough to give their private details on demand that they would have to release them alphabetically at 10,000 a time?. I don't believe it, however I do believe that someone hacked the mainframe hotmail computer and got everyones account details. If you or your friends have hotmail accounts I would urge you to change your password, security question. I have changed my email account over to gmail.

I just check in techspot.com they have confirmed that hotmail,yahoo,google and many others were hack too so if u change to google lol good luck.

A PROUD FIREFOX 3.6 USER.

A proud player of Deadfrontier online MMO Zombie Apocalypse Game

A proud Member of the Steam Community
Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

#6 Pondus

Pondus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

Google confirms Gmail phishing attack, Downplays scam, says 'small number' of accounts compromised

Google confirmed today that passwords for its free Gmail online e-mail service had been harvested by hackers, but downplayed the phishing attack as involving just a "small number" of accounts

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/32...p=4&fpid=16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users