Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:02 PM
Computer: Dell Dimension 9100, XP media center sp3 with all current updates, IE7
Unit has been experiencing multiple errors for several months, mostly due to the failure of McAfee Security Center to recognize an updated subscription. The McAfee issue has been solved, however...
1. Every time the computer is booted, there is an Application popup: (Event ID 26) Application popup: svchost.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7c91b21a" referenced memory at "0x00000010". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program Click on CANCEL to debug the program
The message references no Process ID but the Task Manager Processes tab shows instances of svchost for System (PID 2548), Local Service (2512), System (1612), Local Service (1568), System (1412), Network Service (1384), System (1300), Network Service (1204), System (1080), System (596), and Local Service (264). This message has been appearing since 7/9.
Clicking the 'Cancel' button does not seem to result in another instance of svchost starting. If it is, in fact, debugging the problem, it seems to only apply to that session; the message reappears on the next reboot.
2. TLS 1.0 will not remain enabled. The home page (aol.com) seems to want it and will not load when IE is launched. If TLS is reactived manually in Internet Options>Tools>Advanced, the home page will come up. I can alternatively navigate to another page such as Google, then click the Home icon and AOL will load.
3. Since 7/31, another error shows up in the System Event log at every boot --
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Time: 5:27:37 AM
The IPX Traffic Filter Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The parameter is incorrect.
4. The System Event Log also shows recurring 7023 errors --
The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service terminated with the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.
There is no indication WHAT device is not functioning and reference to Device Manager shows everything operating fine. This is possibly connected to other error messages (2481 and 7023) which say the UPS is not properly configured... but the machine is not currently connected to a UPS and the errors keep occurring.
5. Image files stored on the computer will no longer open in Paint, Picture It, Picassa or Jasc Photoshop. These include .jpg and .mix files. I have been able, however, to retrieve the .jpg files by attaching the hard drive as a slave on another machine and using Picassa.
I'm not sure if or how these errors are related but it would appear to be an OS problem, possibly corrupted files. Security scans with McAfee, Antivir, Malwarebytes, Spybot, IOBit Security 360 and the Eusig and Glary registry utilities have shown no malware infections.
If anyone has any ideas, this computer has been out of service for two weeks now. Thanks