Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Post Install - Only 1 driver issue!!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

I installed Win 7 Pro 32bit on Friday on my work PC. It's an (you've probably never heard of this manufacturer) MPC ClientPro 585b. It's got an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 (2.4GHz) and 3GB of RAM. The machine is definitely spec'd well enough to handle the install. Much to my shock I didn't have to struggle with NIC, video or any other drivers, aside from the audio issue I'm having.

The sound card is onboard unfortunately, and options to install a PCI or otherwise aren't really available at the moment. I'd rather fix the problem if possible. I tried to go to mpcdrivers.com and use the Vista audio drivers, but it wouldn't allow me to install because no device was recognized. I ran the troubleshooter in Windows 7 but there were no options available to download from Windows Update and the Win 7 troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem. (Go figure!) As far as I know I'm dealing with SigmaTel HD Audio. In case you'd like to know HERE is the site where the MPC drivers are available. Side note: MPC went out of business last year. Oops.

EDIT: Sorry, I guess there's not question included here. So... what next? Anybody have ideas or thoughts on how I can get the on board audio to function with Windows 7?

Edited by Eric RBA, 05 October 2009 - 03:17 PM.

I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:55 PM

Try going to the mfg of your mother board for drivers worth a try, did you try the audio drivers for xp?

Edited by sleepwalker, 06 October 2009 - 01:05 AM.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

Download the vista drivers and set the installer's properties to compatibility mode for Vista SP2. Then launch it and see if it works then.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:57 AM

Give this driver a try. Click Here.

The motherboard that is in your MPC computer is an OEM intel that has very little if any information about it. I did notice in all of the driver links for your ClientPro that every one started with "MBD002190". I tracked this number back to an OEM Intel board with the Model of LAD975XBX2LKR. From what I can see this was OEM'd to at least MPC and Gateway.

After looking at the driver that is listed for Vista, I noticed that it's quite old and went in search of a newer one. The link in this post is pointed to one for Windows Vista and the driver version date according to the INF file is 2/15/2008.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:12 PM

Try going to the mfg of your mother board for drivers worth a try, did you try the audio drivers for xp?

I did try the XP audio drivers, and got the same result. Thanks for the suggestion.

Download the vista drivers and set the installer's properties to compatibility mode for Vista SP2. Then launch it and see if it works then.

Grinler, I'm not sure what the procedure would be to do that, or if I'd be able to do it. I downloaded what amounts to MPC's driver, but the GUI for the installer doesn't allow me to check any of the said boxes nor configuring any options. It's a blank screen, with the "Install" button being non-clickable.

After looking at the driver that is listed for Vista, I noticed that it's quite old and went in search of a newer one. The link in this post is pointed to one for Windows Vista and the driver version date according to the INF file is 2/15/2008.

I tried the link. It takes you to Dell's site I see. After downloading the zip file I couldn't open (extract) the file. Not sure what's up with that, it displayed an error that said it was part of a multidisk zip file and I needed to insert the disk. (Error code 110, but I suspect that's useless info.) Go figure. So I'm still at the drawing board.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:18 PM

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/SIGMATEL_STAC...A06_R182475.exe

Try this link. This is direct to Dell's FTP server.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,567 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

Grinler, I'm not sure what the procedure would be to do that, or if I'd be able to do it. I downloaded what amounts to MPC's driver, but the GUI for the installer doesn't allow me to check any of the said boxes nor configuring any options. It's a blank screen, with the "Install" button being non-clickable.

Download the file, right click on it and go into properties. Click on the compatibility tab and put a checkmark in the run this program in compatibility mode for and then change it to Vista SP2

#8 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

Download the file, right click on it and go into properties. Click on the compatibility tab and put a checkmark in the run this program in compatibility mode for and then change it to Vista SP2

Thanks Grinler for the follow up. I did actually figure out how to work through Compatibility Mode and got things sorted out. I had to set it to just Vista (no SP's) and also checked the box for it to run as Admin. Then it would allow me to choose a driver to install. The process seemed to run smoothly and complete. However, now I'm getting a SigmaTel HD Audio CODEC issue. I know that the device is functioning properly as this was a clean install on a new HD into a machine that I use daily.

Here's a bit of what the error report showed:

Issues found SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC has a driver problem. Reinstall device driver. Check audio device.

Issues found:

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7618&SUBSYS_80860420&REV_1002 \4&EF3DEDC&0&0201 Error code:10
Name: ID:

Detection details
Device information
Check audio device There might be a problem with your audio device.

Edited by Eric RBA, 07 October 2009 - 12:06 PM.

#9 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/SIGMATEL_STAC...A06_R182475.exe

Try this link. This is direct to Dell's FTP server.

Hope this helps,

Tech, that link is still providing a zip file that won't open because of the same multidisk issue. Sorry.

#10 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

Download the exe file to your desktop.

Use Winrar to extract the contents to a folder on your desktop.

Go into that folder and double click on setup.exe and the installer should run with no problems.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#11 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

Update: I did as the troubleshooter instructed, reinstalling the driver (Vista) and it did so successfully. It also noted that the CODEC was installed/updated successfully. However, the icon in the systray for the audio output device error is still marked with a red X and upon letting it diagnose and troubleshoot I'm get the same error. I'm back to the drawing board again I suppose.

techextreme, I'm not sure if I have Winrar but I don't believe so. Any help in that arena?

#12 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

Winrar cane be downloaded from:

www.rarlabs.com

The software is going to say it's a "beta" but in my opinion, if it's a beta, I wish all beta's ran this good.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#13 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:44 PM

I downloaded WinRAR and attempted to extract the contents of that download with it. (Via right clicking on the .exe that came from the link you provided.) It was not successful, as seen in the following error message:

! C:\Users\username\Documents\Downloads\SIGMATEL_STAC-92XX-C-Major-H_A06_R182475 (1).exe: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

Is there something I'm missing or doing wrong here?

#14 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

I'm wondering if you can download that file on another computer and try extracting it there.

It seems like your computer is dropping connections when downloading files for some reason. And my reason for saying that is, you have downloaded this file multiple times and each time you are having issues with it.

That sounds to me like an "incomplete" download of the file.

Can you try it on another machine?
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#15 Eric RBA

Eric RBA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

tech, I'm not having any luck whatsoever with the FTP site and the Dell site to download manually. Both of them seem to be broken, at least for me. The downloads are timing out, server unavailable errors, etc. If you've been able to download the file yourself would you mind emailing it to me. I suspect that our network's PIX might be giving me trouble in getting that download.

If you can email it to me at xxxx and rename the .exe to _exe that would be great!! Thanks! Hopefully I wont' hit any files size limitations on my end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users