Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is the Graphics card I'm considering compatible with my system?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sandshark23

Sandshark23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:50 AM

Hello all,
I was out in the city today exploring a lot of asian computer stores and i found something that look good, and was in my price range: A NVIDIA GeForce 7500 Graphics card for only $35. I though instantly "Thats what I want!"
HOWEVER, my computer has had a long and annoying past life and I don't want to add to the number of times that Windows has been re-installed on my computer :thumbsup:
So I am going to be very cautios, asking you guys first about whether I should buy this or not.
I couldnt find the specs of a 7500LE, I could only find the specs for the 7600GT, so here they are:

GeForce 7600 GT
Graphics Bus Technology PCI Express®
Memory 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 22.4
Fill Rate (Billion pixels/sec) 6.7
Vertices/Second (Millions) 700
Pixels per clock (peak) 12
RAMDACs (MHz) 400

And here are the specs of my computer:
Motherboard: Intel Pentium 4 1.70GHz
RAM: 1GB

I was thinking that the power supply could be a factor, but I don't know how to find it...

If there is anymore information needed, let me know :huh:
*INSERT AWESOME SIGNATURE HERE*

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:04 AM

You need to verify if/what kind of graphics slot you have available.

A computer of that age likely has either an AGP or no slot for a video card. Many 7500LEs were available for AGP slots. Before you spend any money, look and see if you have a slot available to use for a new videocard.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sandshark23

Sandshark23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:11 PM

You need to verify if/what kind of graphics slot you have available.

A computer of that age likely has either an AGP or no slot for a video card. Many 7500LEs were available for AGP slots. Before you spend any money, look and see if you have a slot available to use for a new videocard.

OK, the current graphics card I have (GeForce MX440) Is an AGP, but i don't know if I can take the 7500, because the 7600 says PCI.
...After some research, I found that the 7500 needs a PCI express, but I am not so sure, so I am going to take a few more measures to find out about it.

Thanks for your help.
*INSERT AWESOME SIGNATURE HERE*

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:45 PM

Given the speed and age of your PC, you may end up bottlenecking with cards of recent GeForce or Radeon models. There still are standard PCI models of graphics cards on the market, but they often do not have the bandwidth to compete against PCI-Express or even AGP. Your power supply will also be a factor, there should be a sticker on the back of the PC where the power cord plugs into that lists the wattage. Here are the specs on the 7500 LE. It looks like it is AGP, but there may be a standard PCI variant somewhere. If this is a simple productivity PC or if your current graphics card is failing, by all means look into new cards. But this is not anywhere near a recent generation of cards with the ATI GPU's based on the R300, R420, R520, R600, R700, and the newest generation, the Evergreen architecture following it.

Edited by DJBPace07, 05 October 2009 - 09:51 PM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users